Mystery Pipes in Crawl Space

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seansully

Reaction score
Question: A few weeks ago I put a cement cap on an unused standpipe that sits beneath a downspout at the corner of my main house. Based on the facts below, is there any risk that capping that standpipe could some day cause flooding in my crawl space?

Background: For the past 6-8 months, I've been experiencing a slight moldy odor in my family room addition. In an effort to find the source of the smell, I examined the dirt crawl space below my home's family room addition, which a prior owner added to the home in the late 1950s. (The main house itself dates from 1938.)

During my examination of the crawl space, I found wetness around an approximately 5-inch pipe where the pipe enters the crawl space through the cinder block foundation below ground level. The degree of wetness (in an area of approximately 1 square foot) was similar to beach sand a few hours after the tide goes back out.

I can't figure out the pipe's purpose. It looks like a sewer pipe, but it doesn't appear to connect to the sanitary sewer pipe. The house at one time used standpipes below its downspouts -- including the standpipe in the corner of the main house that I capped a few weeks ago -- so I assume that the pipe entering the crawl space could be part of a related drainage system.

Attached are pictures of the pipe entering at the wall (Pic 2) and continuing along the dirt floor mid-way through the crawlspace (Pic 1). There is also, strangely, an uncapped standpipe/vent pipe in the middle crawl space (Pic 3). I assume that standpipe may have once serviced a downspout on the main home, when I'm told by a neighbor that a smaller screen porch occupied part of the area, prior to the addition of the family room in the 1950s.

Notably, the standpipe in the crawl space appears to top out at a level higher than the standpipe outside the crawlspace which I capped a few weeks ago. Is this so that any over/backflow from the storm sewer would exit the outside standpipe(s) rather than exiting the standpipe in the crawl space? If so, did I make a mistake by capping the last visible standpipe outside the house? (There may be other now-buried standpipes outside the house, but I've not sought them out.)

My area of Southern NJ does not have a lot of flooding, but flooding is not entirely unknown here either. Unfortunately public works in my town is unable to tell me whether my (apparent?) storm drain is connected to the municipal storm sewer, and there's a lot of variation in my town which has homes going back to the 1680s. (The storm sewer maps have evidently been lost.)

pictures

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
I would say cap the one under the hose. You could leave the cap on the outside loose so it will pop off if it did back up. Better outside than under the house where you can't see it. Maybe even run a garden hose into it and see if the water comes out some were or fills up.

That looks like clay pipe and may have been abandoned because of root intrusion.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the outside standpipe was cemented closed a few weeks at the suggestion of a contractor. So, short of cracking off the cement (which would be a difficult undertaking at the very least), there's no longer the option to put a soft cap on the outside standpipe.

That leaves me with an open standpipe in the crawlspace. A plumber the other day recommended that I simply put a soft cap and clamp on that standpipe.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing (short of getting someone to video the pipes) whether these pipes connect to the municipal storm sewer. My town has "lost" all its storm sewer maps, and the existence of storm sewers invaries from street to street in my town. So, if these old pipes do connect to the storm sewer and there's ever a backup, I suppose the point of least resistence may now be the standpipe in my crawlspace, even if I put a soft cap on it.

All of this is guesswork. These likely rain drain pipes were abandoned 40+ years ago. So I really have no way of knowing at this point where they go and whether they were fully disabled. Certainly I hate the thought of having to crack off the cement from the outside standpipe.

Attached are pictures of the pipe entering at the wall (Pic 2) and continuing along the dirt floor mid-way through the crawlspace (Pic 1). There is also, strangely, an uncapped standpipe/vent pipe in the middle crawl space (Pic 3).

Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back