Broken vent - can it be fixed?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveg01

Reaction score
A contractor stepped on a vent in my crawl space and snapped it off. He tried to repair it with a rubber boot, but the side near the T is pretty short and the repair is not good.

Is this something that a plumber could repair without having to cut into the main stack? It feels like there should be a tool that can clean up the female threads, then we would just need to replace the broken part?

How much would a repair like this generally cost?

20180208_123626.jpg

20180208_123641.jpg

20180208_123810.jpg

20180208_123818.jpg

20180208_123825.jpg

Anyone? Is this a straight forward repair, or does it look like it all might have to come out?

The threads seem pretty much gone, and I really don't believe a thread chaser will work. Also, with the amount of rust on the outside of that pipe, is seems it may have been leaking for quite some time before it was broken off. Is there any wetness below the pipe? Lastly, how old is that pipe connection?

The threads seem pretty much gone, and I really don't believe a thread chaser will work. Also, with the amount of rust on the outside of that pipe, is seems it may have been leaking for quite some time before it was broken off. Is there any wetness below the pipe? Lastly, how old is that pipe connection?

The pipe was broke several months ago, I am pretty sure its original (1950's house). There is no wetness below the pipe. Would the wetness come from rain?

It would need to be cut out and replaced with PVC. That pipe is rotted out for those threads to tear off like that.

I have never had success trying to re-tap threads in a cast iron fitting where a steel nipple used to be.
If there was brass screwed into it, I have been very successful at removing brass and re-tapping the thread with a 1-1/2" NPT pipe tap. usually for a DWV dirty arm from a fixtures drain.
But when there is a steel nipple that has rotted out the only fix is to cut out the fitting and replace it.

I have a related thread on doing that but It won't be much help.
Just good reading.

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6382

another link also in the thread linked above

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15155#post15155

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back