Backed up Apartment lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowdrain

Reaction score
Alright, so, long story short is that I'm sure there's some sort of blockage in the line. The toilet flushes and the bathroom sink/tub both drain, but all are slow... and if I plunge the toilet I get unpleasant results bubbling up from the tub drain. I tried sealing off everything at my end with duct tape and plunging again, to no avail, so I'm guessing that the blockage is further down the line than I can handle in a place that I'm just renting. I tried running an augur through my toilet but we just had a new model installed and I can't get the bloody thing in more than one foot for the life of me.

Is there anything else I can do myself without having to call on the supers? I'd rather avoid that if I can since I work odd hours and I have cats so I hate having to lock them up for workers to come in.

Put away the cats and call the super. If you don't have the right equip and skills to use them You need to get someone in that does. I am a big advocate of doing it yourself when you can and if you have the time. DIY short cuts can cause you more grief in the long run, sometimes.

Ask the guy who tried to clear a drain by inserting a garden hose down his vent. Turned out to be the vent of his gas water heater. :eek:
Or pouring a pot of boiling water down the toilet. Cracked the toilet.

My steps in drain cleaning . First look for a cleanout holding water ,this can be hard to find in a apartment . If None,look for a roof vent with 3 inch pipe.in an apartment this can be tricky if higher then one story. Last I'll pull the toilet but first find out if it's a back to back with you're neighbors if it is this can be hard for a novice but easy for a pro use a 1/2 cable with 3 blade bent you're tip and shove it in

Latest posts

Back