Fixing small gas leak in pipe near water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helpless_in_MA

Reaction score
My water heater recently broke and I needed to replace the control box. This required disconnecting the gas line and replacing it. I replaced it, but there is a small leak, according to gas detecting meter I have. I put pipe joint compound on each male side of the pipe.

The leak seems to either be on the left side of the small pipe in the center of the photo, or on the right side. It depends on high tight I tighten the pipe. If I make one side all the way tight, it by default loosens the other side, and vice verse. Each side wants to be tightened clockwise, which loosens the other side. I hope this makes sense.

Do you have any advice on what I need to be doing differently. I thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

20160122_153923.jpg

Just pull it all out again and retreat everything with teflon and pipe dope.

We in my state are prohibited from using solid pipe and must use flexible gas lines at the W/H. Would this solve your problem?

Thanks for the replies. I will look into the flexible hose option.

I just don't see how I can get both sides in tight, as one side going in tighter seems to automatically mean the other side is loosened.

We in my state are prohibited from using solid pipe and must use flexible gas lines at the W/H. Would this solve your problem?

Is that for quake protection you think? Makes sense.

You mean I finally guessed correct, Teacher Frodo? :D

That's MASTER-SON frodo grasshopper...
grinning-smiley-044.gif

Latest posts

Back