Basement Shower Drain Question (with pic)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradcss

Reaction score
The attached pic is the shower/bath drain that was roughed in when our house was built in 2006, and I'm trying to figure out what this is & how to use it. I know it's a drain rough-in (duh), and the pipe is metal with a 2" inside diameter and full of concrete (at least at the top of it). I thought most plumbing was PVC, so this metal pipe and the red base is throwing me. Do you suppose this drain pipe is metal and it is metal all the way to where it links up to sewer drainage? Or do you think this metal pipe is just a cap that needs removed somehow to reveal a PCV drain pipe. If the metal pipe is permanent then I guess I'll just need to cut it off at the appripriate height once the shower base arrives.

I will be installing a shower base over the pipe, but I really want to understand what the deal is with this pipe before w begin. Thanks for any input, and yes I am hiring a licensed plumber to run all the water lines...I'm just doing some of the easier things to save some $$$ and to learn.

I can't see the pic, might not of worked when you tried to attach it. Once we can see it I'm sure we can help ya out

Looks like cast iron. You can adapt to it with one of those rubber neoprene donuts if I'm not mistaken. Someone else will probably chime in there's a better plan

That is cast iron and it is the same OD as PVC or ABS plastic. It will fit your shower strainer. It just needs to be cut to the proper height. It should be connected to a trap. What I would do to be sure there is a trap is to pour some water into the pipe then check to be sure that it is holding water. The red spacer in the floor is there to allow the shower strainer to recess into the floor.
This is providing it is a 2" line and not 3" or 4". If it's the larger size it'as for a toilet.

John

Latest posts

Back