strange leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cartlin

Reaction score
We have a shower with a single valve and just one outlet (the shower head). No tub, no tub spout. Just a shower with a single valve handle.

When we open any other hot water valves at the sink, washing machine, etc. water leaks form the shower head. With the valve closed, I don't understand how this is possible.

I don't think there is a hot water return. We do have one in another area of the house.

It's a Kohler. Not sure what mode number but here are some pics. Looks like model K-304-K
zqphd.jpg

2q0r7h5.jpg

2vv9iee.jpg

Last edited:
may just be the vibration of the system jiggling the pipes and shaking out a little captured water in the head.

I sometime have to remove heads after a repair because they drip for awhile and I can't tell if my repair was good with them still in place.

Remove the shower head to test to see if it still leaks when other fixtures are used.

Replace the cartridge assembly. I would presume you did if you disassembled it for the photo.

may just be the vibration of the system jiggling the pipes and shaking out a little captured water in the head.

I sometime have to remove heads after a repair because they drip for awhile and I can't tell if my repair was good with them still in place.

Remove the shower head to test to see if it still leaks when other fixtures are used.

Replace the cartridge assembly. I would presume you did if you disassembled it for the photo.

I am planning to call Kohler Monday to get a replacement cartridge. It definitely is not just water in the head. You can turn a faucet on and off and the shower will run and stop again and again.

silly thought...look in the wall at the valve body.

see if you can see a "H" Or "C" or a " ->" arrow pointing up

I saw a tub/shower valve that was installed upside down

that dribbled, the shower head was the tub spout

boy from below the lower 48 installed it, did not read,english

Replaced the cartridge from Kohler, now the cold side leaks when a cold water valve is opened. So all it did was swap from hot to cold. There is a pressure balancing piece they are now offering to replace. This piece looks symmetrical and can go in either way, so I likely swapped it which just moved the issue to the cold side. They think it may be a pressure fluctuation from when everything was installed. So we have more pressure in the home now and that would allow such a leak???

That is odd. What kind of water pressure do you have. You can get a gauge for about $10 and check it at a hose bib

That is odd. What kind of water pressure do you have. You can get a gauge for about $10 and check it at a hose bib

I picked up a hose bib pressure gauge and we have about 40 PSI at the house meter. The pressure balancing unit within the valve has shipped today so I hope that solves it.

It is fixed. The pressure balancing unit was replaced and it is all set.

I did purchase a bib gauge and it was showing 40 psi at first, but I also witnessed about 80 psi. Is that much fluctuation in the town water supply normal?

Thanks for all the help on this.

Hm. I wonder if it is worthwhile for me to check with the water dept. At this point I'm leak free so unless I need to be concerned about this I guess I will happily be on my way.

Latest posts

Back