PEX for plumbing compressed air?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otahyoni

Reaction score
So i have been tasked with plumbing up an air system in our new building from scratch and wondering what my options are.

Ones I can think of are:
Copper (too expensive)
Galvanized steel pipe (maybe)
DOT air line (line isn't bad but fittings are pricey)
PEX (?)
PVC (i know...it could explode and kill me....)
?

This is a very large building (80'x120') so it's important to be cost efficient. What would be my best option?

Also this is primarily an equipment shed that will be used some of the time for servicing the equipment, so how should i lay out the the outlets?

The standard in the industry for airlines is steel pipe, and galvanized would be better for this application. It can be labor intensive, but once you get a rhythm going it isn't to bad.

I kinda think PEX is a viable option, but I have never heard of it being used for airline. If you decide to go that route, make very sure it can't rub against metal and wear a hole through it.

I've never used pex but agreed with phish. I would probably use pex for cost effectiveness and ease of install, but yeah protect that pex for anything sharp. I think it would work fine but I've never used it for compressed air, usually copper. But copper would take days upon days

Latest posts

Back