Major issues fitting new drain to bathroom sink.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_allison

Reaction score
So I’m replacing a bathroom faucet. Faucet went on no problem. The drain however, is not going so smoothly. The previous drain was the metal popup kind. The new one is a Pfister push & kind (example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094BHCXE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20).

Now, this drain comes with a rubber gasket that is supposed to sit in the sink bowl, under the flange. The manufacturer expressly says not to use plumbers putty.

The problem I’m having is with my sink! There are two issues:

1) The sink is uneven so the drain does sit flush; as I tighten the assembly underneath, the drain pulls to the right.

drain01.jpg

2) There isn’t a recess that accepts the rubber gasket AND the flange, so both sit above the bottom of the sink. It seems like there’s some kind of ring of epoxy or plastic where the rubber gasket would otherwise nestle into.

drain02.jpg

So, what are my options? Ditch the top/sink side rubber gasket and use silicone? Try to remove that interior ring of material and hope the gasket and flange will fit into it and sit lower in the sink bowl?

I’m at a loss!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard the manufacturer saying to never use plumber's putty. I would never use anything for that drain except plumber's putty. I also think that is why your new assembly is leaning as you tighten it. It won't happen (as bad) with proper use of plumbers putty.

I've never heard the manufacturer saying to never use plumber's putty. I would never use anything for that drain except plumber's putty. I also think that is why your new assembly is leaning as you tighten it. It won't happen (as bad) with proper use of plumbers putty.

Thanks for the reply! They definitely say that in the instructions because it includes a rubber gasket that's supposed to go in the bowl, and also, the assembly is plastic and the petroleum in plumber's putty can eat away at it over time.

Those drain assembly's are garbage. Throw it away and replace it with a brass mechanical drain like you had.

It just might come to that!

FWIW, I can't use a pop up style drain; the faucet doesn't allow for that style of drain.

I always use plumbers putty on the cheap, plastic drain assemblies and never had a problem.

It just might come to that!

FWIW, I can't use a pop up style drain; the faucet doesn't allow for that style of drain.

You can get good quality "clicker" drains such as that PF one, and I do believe the face of the drain is a tad smaller so it won't fit so awkwardly into your sink

They definitely say that in the instructions because it includes a rubber gasket that's supposed to go in the bowl, and also, the assembly is plastic and the petroleum in plumber's putty can eat away at it over time.

Those drain assembly's are garbage. Throw it away and replace it with a brass mechanical drain like you had.

AMEN!

The flash chroming will either dull or peel off after time.

Think BRASSCRAFT.

Back