Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Drain obstructing the washer vent

Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
dietcolarocks
Established Member

Default Drain obstructing the washer vent

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a DIY project and have run in to a road block. I've gotten conflicting advice from two different plumbers. Hoping someone can help me reach the best solution.

The picture below shows the current setup for the washer drain. The 2" pipe from above is a shower and tub drain. The 1.5" is a vent.

I'd like to move the washer drain to the right side of the pipes, and put in a sink on the left. The sink on the left is not a problem, already easy access to vent and drain. However, when I put the washer drain on the right, I don't seem to have access to the vent.

Plumber One (retired) said, "Just use the 2" drain, it's already vented above so don't worry about connecting it to the vent". Everything I read seems to say you do indeed need a proper vent. He's retired, so I'm thinking he's giving me advice that will work but isn't necessarily up to current code.

Plumber Two (via a phone call) said to use an AAV. I could do this in a panel behind the washer/dreyer which is stacked. This is something I've thought about but seems to me that you need air to escape the drain. (If a lot of waste is coming down the drain, it seems it would create positive air pressure and push the waste in the washer's p-trap.) I'm not a plumber so maybe I'm over thinking this.

Anyway, anybody agree or disagree with One or Two or have better ideas? All replies are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

plumbing.jpg  

Last edited by dietcolarocks; 04-20-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Image didn't appear so I attached it.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

Liked 1766 Times on 1505 Posts
Likes Given: 367

offset in the ceiling
layout.jpg  

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
dietcolarocks
Established Member

Perfect. Why didn't I think to do that?

Thanks so much for the response!