shower valve relocation help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miamiguy1105

Reaction score
Hi guys new guy here had a question I'm redoing are bathroom we removed a roman tub and wanted to build a shower. the location of the drain and the shower valve don't currently line up. We wanted to get them to line up but the location where the new valve would go to make it centered is where the a 3'' vent runs. my question is would i be able to make room for the new valve location by cutting the vent pipe and rerouting it and connecting back to the original vent pipe? will the vent still work as intended? i attached a picture any help or idea would be helpful

plumbing.jpg

It looks like the shower is going to be very wide. If you put the shower valve in the center you will have to get into the shower to turn it on. I prefer to be able to reach the valve from outside the shower. That way you can get the water to your preferred temperature before getting in.

hi John yes its gonna be a large corner shower but what i need to know if that 3'' vent tube can be cut and relocated in order to move the shower valve into the location we would like.

yes you can, if you go outside, look on the roof, note the size and
count the vents, you may be able to reduce that vent to a 2''. make it easier to offset

pipes33_4.jpg

lets talk about lay out, their are minimum distances for fixtures from walls and other fixtures
draw a sketch, or use paint in windows on a picture, i can help stop problems down the road

typical shower valve height is 48'' center line
typical head is 6'2 it will put the head at 5'11 [depending on head]

Last edited:
Frodo, thank you sir what you drew is what i had in mind do you think i should go with a 45 instead of a 90 for the turns? as far as the size the 3'' it goes into 2'' inside the addict but im looking like a 8 to 10 ft run if i were to change that pipe out.

plumbing.jpg

if you changed the size, it would make the offset a whole lot easier,

just keep in mind, you need to offset over far enough, to get a board behind the shower head to strap it off

so it needs to offset to the next bay. you can use 90's IF the offset is 42'' or higher,

actually,,,6'' above the counter top, which is generally 42''

so. if you reduce to 2'' then use a 90 at 42'' you would be ok

pipes33_4.jpg

Last edited:
Frodo, do you know if there is a florida plumbing code that will not allow me to move my shower head to the wall to the right. i live in a townhouse and the wall to the right is the dividing wall between myself and my next door neighbor. this way i would need to move any of the 3'' pipe. thanks for the help

as long as you maintain a 1 hour fire rating on your side of the party wall . no problem what so ever

a 1 hour fire rating is a 1/2'' sheet rocked wall

i do not know your shower lay out. but do not put your shower head across from the opening/door

you are asking for trouble

Frodo what do you think how it came out any suggestions? if i should change anything

20160809_173831[1].jpg

20160809_212041[1].jpg

yeah..my neck hurts,

hey,,the shower valve, did you set it the correct debth so the trim will work out after the wall is built?

i can tell them fumes were getting to you, looks like you got a buzz and srtarted painting with purple primer LOL

i hate purple primer. i like clear,

only thing i see, is make sure them pipes are tied down, copper not touching tin studs [rust]

20160809_173831%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back