Leaking New pop-up assembly

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick

Reaction score
yes... I'm a newbie when it comes to plumbing.

Anyhow, I just installed a new pop up assembly and just discovered a leak. It's leaking underneath the sink where the rubber gasket and ring meet the bottom of the sink. Any suggestions? Use plumber putty WITH the gasket?

The other question is.. what it the point of having openings to fill this small space in-between the flange and this rubber gasket? Of course if water is backing up into the sink.. this small space will always be filled with water.

Thanks for your help!!

The correct way to install these is to add plumbers putty under the lip of the flange. Then drop it thru the hole in the sink. Tighten the nut underneath with the gasket on top. The putty will ooze out in the sink, just scrape that away and you're good to go.

Those holes are to allow connection of an overflow setup.

Last edited:
The correct way to install these is to add plumbers putty under the lip of the flange. Then drop it thru the hole in the sink. Tighten the nut underneath with the gasket on top. The putty will ooze out in the sink, just scrape that away and you're good to go.

Those holes are to allow connection of an overflow setup.

Thank you for your reply..however, I'm not experiencing a leak/issue by the flange. The leak is coming from the rubber gasket/nut underneath the sink..I can feel water coming under the nut and around the extra threads. Is this a common issue? It's as tight as it can go...

Yes it is a common problem. Use pipe thread sealant (pipe dope) liberally on the threads and the surface of the rubber washer before you run the nut up the threads. Back the nut all the way down as far as it will go.

Yes it is a common problem. Use pipe thread sealant (pipe dope) liberally on the threads and the surface of the rubber washer before you run the nut up the threads. Back the nut all the way down as far as it will go.

I thought about doing this...but held back. I'll try it out and let you know how it works out. Thanks!

Just to make sure, the gasket is facing the right way, correct? With the beveled end facing the top going into the sink?

Just to make sure, the gasket is facing the right way, correct? With the beveled end facing the top going into the sink?

Yes, the gasket is faced properly.

I switched to a plastic 1 piece version of the pop up assembly instead of the all metal. Again, I'm having an issue where it's leaking by the gasket under the sink. Just to be clear, there are 2 openings under the flange that come into play when an "overflow" happens in the sink... So, when water is draining properly.. water will still go into these slots and fill the small "reservoir" type area, correct? This leads me to believe there will always be a small amount of water in this area as normal drainage will always catch into this area.

Leaks are annoying!

Yes, the gasket is faced properly.

I switched to a plastic 1 piece version of the pop up assembly instead of the all metal. Again, I'm having an issue where it's leaking by the gasket under the sink. Just to be clear, there are 2 openings under the flange that come into play when an "overflow" happens in the sink... So, when water is draining properly.. water will still go into these slots and fill the small "reservoir" type area, correct? This leads me to believe there will always be a small amount of water in this area as normal drainage will always catch into this area.

Leaks are annoying!

Is it a Delta assembly by any chance? I think they do the hole thing on their drains. I suppose water will technically sit in that small area between the sink and the strainer, but it shouldn't leak by as long as that gasket is tight against the sink. Is if possible that the part of your sink that the gasket seats against has a chip in it, or some other defect causing the gasket to not seat properly?

post a picture eric...
did you use the cardboard/plastic washer between the nut and the rubber?
its there, to keep the washer from distorting away from the nut. it will leak without it
not all the time, but when it do, you need it

images (6).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back