PEX Tubing for Fridge Hook-up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrpk

Reaction score
Hi - I picked up a refrigerator ice maker kit to hook-up my new fridge. The tubing is 1/4" O.D. so I thought it would be a breeze. For the connection I am using a 1/4" plastic ferrel and trying to use a 1/4" metal insert. The problem is the PEX tubing has an I.D. that is slightly too small. When I force the insert into the tubing it bulges enough I can not slide the ferrel and nut down. Is it ok to not use the metal insert?

The insert fits fine in my old Polyethelene tubing so the PEX must use a different I.D.

Thanks.

Not totally true. If you get that really crappy, cheap icemaker tubing kit from the big box store, often the tube is really thin walled, and will collapse under the pressure of the ferrule, and will leak.

Of course, that tube is such crap that it will leak before too long anyway, so you will be better off not using it in the first place.

I do not use the inserts with PEX tubing. The tubing walls are substantial enough to not need the reinforcement.

...mmm...

Haven't much faith in plastic supply unless it is from a manufacturer such as John Guest. A flooded kitchen is not a pretty site.

BrassCraft 1/4 in. Compression x 1/4 in. Compression Braided Polymer Icemaker/Humidifier Connector

550aa713-236a-4fad-b6a5-e476b204876f_1000.jpg

I would NEVER use polyethylene, but I do use PEX which is substantially stronger.

Yes, the PEX is stronger than the Polyethylene that the original installers used. Seems pretty stiff, can't picture it crushing very easily.

I hooked it up Thursday night and have been watching it. No leaks. Guess I am good to push the fridge in place and get my kitchen floor back.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back