Water Shut-off valve replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxhiker

Reaction score
I notice the GI pipe connecting water shut-off valve us rusting and I am worried that it may break a leak if not replaced. Any thoughts on how to replace it and an alternatives for GI pipe.

shutoffvalve.JPG

Some one asked a question what is GI pipe and I think they deleted the post. But to clarify GI pipe means "Galvanized Iron" Pipe (in the picture there is a small 2" long pipe whre the threads are rusting).

That was me.. i get confused with all the code words.

should not have galvinised pipe there. remove it and replace with a brass nipple

dissimilar metals cause's electrolysis which causes rust

if you cant find a brass nipple you can use a dielectric nipple

That was me.. i get confused with all the code words.

should not have galvinised pipe there. remove it and replace with a brass nipple

dissimilar metals cause's electrolysis which causes rust

if you cant find a brass nipple you can use a dielectric nipple

Thank you Frodo.

Is replacing the nipple a large enough job only plumber should do or an average home owner with some plumbing knowledge get it done.

I don't see a union anywhere in there, so you will need the proper expansion tools to tie back into the PEX that is there.

thank you. Should I use the union at both ends of the PEX pipe or just the one carrying water to the house.

thank you all. Reading the posts, it seems to me that the entire assemly shoulc be replaced. To illustrate how its connected.

Pipe coming from main street line after meter>90* Elbow/Bend (Plastic)>Pex pipe>Ball Valve>GI pipe> Watts pressure regulator>Pex pipe>90* Elbow/Bend (Plastic)>pipe inside the wall going into the house.

Option1
1. If I cut the whole assembly and re-build how do I extend the pex pipes both coming from the mainline and going into the house.
2. If I manage to remove the 90* bends at both ends, the Pex pipe is already expanded to get the male elbow inside, will I get a good fit for the replacing elbow?

Back