How do I turn off, then later turn on the gas on my water heater?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There should be a valve on the gas line. Depending on what your looking to do a better choice could be to turn the gas valve on the front of the heater to pilot.

There should be a valve on the gas line. Depending on what your looking to do a better choice could be to turn the gas valve on the front of the heater to pilot.

Thanks. I had to turn it off to use some "mold foggers" (they recommend turning off also sources that could spark the mist and presumably blow up my home).

I turned off the gas line to the heater (turned the handle 90 degrees) and turned the position to Off. I will shortly be turning it back on and am wondering if the red button will automatically spark the flame or if I have to light it manually?

I just did turned it back on...all is well. The red button didn't ignite it but putting a long nosed lighter in there while on the pilot setting...then turning it to the On position did the trick.

Usually you have to hold down the knob while in the pilot position for 60 seconds or so to make sure the pilot stays lit.

Latest posts

Back