Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Plumbing Leak Question

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Default Plumbing Leak Question

I need some Plumber advise BIG TIME! Long story short, my brother and me purchased a second floor condo to renovate and flip. During our demo, we left the trap pipes in the bathrooms open. According to our condo association, water came out one of the trap pipes from the condo above us and caused a leak into the downstairs condo which we are responsible for. This does not sound right. I've never heard of water traveling up and out the trap pipe unless there is an underlying blockage somewhere down the line. Any help would be appreciated! 2nd post, didn't get a definitive answer from a plumber first time around. Thanks!!

Old 03-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
Easily Amused
Liked 904 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Well here's the thing.
You removed fixtures and left the drains open/unplugged,
a stoppage in the common line shared by your unit and the unit above occurred. IF the fixture where not removed, they may have contained some of the water that backed up from those using water on the floor above you.
But if the used more than the capacity of the fixtures like a sink then it would have still over flowed onto the floor and possibly down through the ceiling to the unit below you.

3rd floor unit would not know a thing unless someone was home in the unit below them.

Plugging the drain may or may not have prevented the damage below.

It's good foresight to plug open drains
especially when shared with other units.

If nobody is in lower unit and they have a common drain stoppage, plug or no plug, the lower unit is gonna get wet if enough water is used above the stoppage.

pictures of a 1st floor kitchen below 4 units above.
I was called out because of water leaking in garage below.

IMG_4066.jpg   IMG_4069.jpg  
. . . . . . . . . . -(@@)- . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . ----o00--()--00o----. . . . .

a.k.a. Krazedav

Last edited by Mr_David; 03-13-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

You are correct in that there is something slowing the flow which caused it to back up and out your open drain. If things were working and flowing correctly it would probably have not occurred.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:59 PM   #4

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it!