Zurn Sloan toilet rebuild?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakeEyes79

Reaction score
So I have to replace a diaphragm and a new stop screw assembly on a Zurn “Sloan” type toilet in my apartment. Toilet just stopped flushing. When I went to close the screw water started spraying at me from the screw so I backed it out and the water stopped. I’ll have to shut the water off to the entire building to replace the parts.

I’ve never done this repair before. Is it hard? Looked easy on YouTube! 😂

Any tips or tricks I should know about before I do the repair?

I don't know how the stop screw valve works inside. Could the spraying water only happen when it is between fully open and fully closed?

I'm not a plumber, but have done enough of my own work to know seemingly simple things can get messy. Not touched a commercial toilet flush valve.

Are you the owner or just renting? If not the owner, isn't this something you would escalate to the owner or caretaker? Of course, you have to flush with buckets or something. What if you turned off water to the whole building, and ended up needing parts? Without the stop valve working, what happens then?

just a thought from someone who has been through a couple of ohshit moments.

I don't know how the stop screw valve works inside. Could the spraying water only happen when it is between fully open and fully closed?

I'm not a plumber, but have done enough of my own work to know seemingly simple things can get messy. Not touched a commercial toilet flush valve.

Are you the owner or just renting? If not the owner, isn't this something you would escalate to the owner or caretaker? Of course, you have to flush with buckets or something. What if you turned off water to the whole building, and ended up needing parts? Without the stop valve working, what happens then?

just a thought from someone who has been through a couple of ohshit moments.

I own the apartment. The stop screw actually has quite a few parts, I figured I’ll just replace it. Ordered the parts online. I’ll definitely have to turn the water off to the building to be able to do this repair. Some shareholders have installed regular tank toilets, but I like these Sloan valve toilets that are original to the building. Never had a problem with backups!

Ah good idea, I can try that. It’s hard knowing what to do when I can’t see how the part works, but your suggestion might work. Oddly for just being a Shut off screw there are a lot of parts in it, springs, seals screws etc. thanks

how Many floors in the bld are there separate risers for the bathrooms and kitchens if your on a lower floor and you can isolate drain the riser from the sink/or tub(are the flushometers on a separate feed????????

8 story building made in 52 with the craziest water pressure I’ve ever experienced which is great. Toilet water riser is separate.

With the building being 8 stories unless you can isolate just your apt this would not be something to attempt for the fist time.most times when you drain a riser to make a repair other toilets may not stop flushing or other leaks on other flushometers may appear,most times when multiple floors are shut off you would need people to check all apts while someone is at the valve to shut off quickly

You need to drain the system down from the basement and get all the water out. You take that top off to
get to the diaphram. If you don't drain it you could have one big mess. If the flush valves are as old as
you say you will probably need a high gallon diaphram. If you could get the valve to shut off then there
is no need to drain the system. Like Geofd said, that when you turn the main water back on you better
be checking those other toilets that could be running full blast.

Latest posts

Back