Zanne's disposal problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanne

Reaction score
Yeah. Time to play Taps for that disposal. Anyone know good ones to get? I need a new one too (although I might just go without since I have a septic tank and am not supposed to have one-- but have had one for over 20 years).

Get a badger model.. They are industry standard you can buy at the depot. 1/2 and 1/3 are on but I like 3/ 4 the best

Thanks! I'll look into them and see which of the models seems to have the best ratings.

I recommend Insinkerator Badger 5 for low-cost basic or an Insinkerator Evolution series if you want premium performance that will not disappoint you. Check disposal reviews and decide what will best work for you and your wallet.

I recommend Insinkerator Badger 5 for low-cost basic or an Insinkerator Evolution series if you want premium performance that will not disappoint you. Check disposal reviews and decide what will best work for you and your wallet.

Thank you! I'll have to look for those models. I should measure my old one. I know its a Kenmore 3/4hp one. It still looks all shiny but it is quite old. I think at least 20 years, but I'm not certain. It finally died out. Although I should test the power plug for it to make sure that its not the electrical outlet that died...

20 years is a great lifespan for a disposal! Kenmore disposals are made by the same company as Insinkerator so all of the connections should be the same or similar. Check your existing power connection to the disposal. If it is hardwired re-use the same connection. If it was plugged in via a cord, check the cord for wear. If it is in good shape you can re-use or just replace it with a $12 new cord. Good luck!

20 years is a great lifespan for a disposal! Kenmore disposals are made by the same company as Insinkerator so all of the connections should be the same or similar. Check your existing power connection to the disposal. If it is hardwired re-use the same connection. If it was plugged in via a cord, check the cord for wear. If it is in good shape you can re-use or just replace it with a $12 new cord. Good luck!

Thanks. It's the plug in to an outlet type. I'll have to examine the cord and test the outlet later.

Many disposals have a reset button in the base. It is also quick to check current by running an extension cord to see if the disposal works.

Ok. I'll have to see if I can locate a reset button on it.
I went and looked-- and it seems like I hallucinated because I thought it plugged in underneath, but when I checked this time its got a wire going up into the wall so its hardwired. My memory is just not working for me these days. I couldn't get into the space to find the reset button, but I did get pictures. I should probably start a new thread because I feel like I've unintentionally hijacked this one.

I thought it plugged in underneath, but when I checked this time its got a wire going up into the wall so its hardwired.
If you have "a wire going up into the wall" do you mean something like Romex cable? If the "wire" is not encased in a metal flexible conduit, after shutting off the circuit breaker, cut it and install an outlet where the "wire" comes through the cabinet wall. Then install a new plug-in style cord on your new disposal.

Thanks, Havasu.

Also, good idea, SHR.

My friend said that if the wire is in good condition he could just use the existing wire and wire it to the new one-- when I select one.

I sent a question to Insinkerator and the response sort of pissed me off. They didn't even answer my question, they just gave a spiel about the products and then I sent back a message saying I knew how the product worked, I just wanted to know if there was a fix for one of the problems and they gave me some line of bull about how any problems were rare and blah blah blah. Which is politician speak for "there is no fix".

This is my current disposal.
1964920_450146228451581_227456297_n.jpg

1011437_450146078451596_2008652356_n.jpg

It wasn't until after I uploaded this photo that I saw the arrow to the reset button. I couldn't actually see this tag when I looked under the sink. I had to turn flash on and stick my camera up in there to get the image.
1901325_450145988451605_1583215802_n.jpg

I love that it says it has a sound barrier. It was pretty damn loud.

I'll have to try to get some measurements on it later.

No need for measurements the pictures tell me everything I need to know. You have a typical Insinkerator-type disposal. Your current disposal is overdue for replacement, replace everything including the flange. This should be a standard disposal replacement. I would not expect any surprises, but if they come up, post your questions here and we will try to help. I think you will find even the new Badger (basic model) disposals are pretty quiet nowadays.

Thanks, SHR.

So the Badger 5 and Badger Evolution are about the same size?

Btw, I hit the reset button and now instead of no sound, it makes a buzzing sound but doesn't do anything other than that.

I'm going to have to try to fix the rest of the plumbing in there as well. Stupid S-trap under the sink.
945069_337860489680156_502966430_n.jpg

7991_337860346346837_63449296_n.jpg

Edit: Here are some options I just looked up
InSinkErator Badger 5XP 3/4 HP Household Garbage Disposer for $115.53 with free shipping

InSinkErator Evolution Select Plus 3/4 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposer for $179.99 with $19.44 shipping.

InSinkErator Evolution Compact 3/4 HP Household Garbage Disposer for $162.20 with free shipping

InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist 3/4 HP Household Garbage Disposer for $199.99 w/ free shipping

I may have already ruled out the last one because it requires cartridges and the reviews said there were issues with the cartridges leaking and/or falling off. That was the issue that the company beat around the bush on and via omission said there was no fix for it.

I might rule out the badger 5 because of some of the reviews.

I'm not sure what benefit (if any) there is to the continuous feed model.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the motor hums when you hit the reset button, I can almost guarantee that disposal will have more life in it if you were to free the obstruction now. Either use the hex key on the bottom side and move it back and forth, or get the end of a broom stick down the sink to do the same.

If the motor hums when you hit the reset button, I can almost guarantee that disposal will have more life in it if you were to free the obstruction now. Either use the hex key on the bottom side and move it back and forth, or get the end of a broom stick down the sink to do the same.

I've reached in to the disposal with gloves on until I hit metal and then moved my arm around to try to clear any blockages.
I suppose I could try a broom handle or something similar.

I'm not sure exactly where I would put the hex key, would I have to remove pipes and stick something up there? I have trouble actually getting in there and can't actually see the underside of the disposal. I just moved my hand around on the bottom until I could feel the reset button.

Or did you mean to stick a hex key in from the sink end and move it around to clear blockages?
And I still need to fix that S-trap. I wonder if I can do it if I drop the P-trap lower so the up curve is even with the T and then add a bend to make it meet up.

Last edited:
There should be a visible home at the bottom of your disposal, which looks like this:

Also, here is a quick YouTube video to explain what I am talking about.
[ame]http://youtu.be/Gl2PUeo5Y1s[/ame]

50600541cf4f922137b5e813056c7cdf_185_130_gar_disp_bottom_view.jpg

Ohhhh! That's where the hex key goes!
I've already hit the reset button. I stuck in a handle and moved it around inside. Then I gloved up and manually scraped stuff out with my fingers and pulled gunk out of the disposer. I even grabbed the little movable parts and rotated them as much as I could to get them to move. Still feels like something is jammed, and I think that I can actually feel the rust on the inside of the flange when my fingers brushed against it. That flange is not in the best of shape and the little rubber thingies to stop stuff from just falling in are pretty much dead.

I'm going to see if I can get enough space and enough light to try the hex key next. I know i have some lying around somewhere...

Thanks for the link and info!

Edit: Nuts! I don't have the right sized hex key. I tried the largest one I found and nada. No movement or anything.

Last edited:
Thanks, SHR.

So the Badger 5 and Badger Evolution are about the same size?

Btw, I hit the reset button and now instead of no sound, it makes a buzzing sound but doesn't do anything other than that.

I'm not sure what benefit (if any) there is to the continuous feed model.

The Badger 5 is smaller than any of the Evolution series disposals because the Badger series does not have any sound insulation and the insulation in the Evolution series adds bulk. I still maintain the Badger 5 is quieter than most disposals used to be. The plumbing connections are virtually identical across the whole Insinkerator line.

I vote your current old disposal is toast. From your description and pics, I would not spend anymore time on it. Replace it.

Most of the disposals in our homes are "continuous feed." Fancy term for turn it on and push waste in to it. The option is "batch feed." With that type you load up the disposal, close and latch a cover and the latch on the cover triggers the disposal switch. May be good for day care homes, safer, but a pain for most of us.

And finally, absolutely change that s-trap situation. You are on the right track. Good luck!

Thanks, SHR. I'm leaning toward the one that was $162. The compact one-- not necessarily because of the compact size, but because it has good reviews and is less expensive than many of the options.

I'm going to the store in awhile and I'll see if they have a P-Trap I can hook up. Are the accordion like P-traps any good? I worry about stuff getting stuck.

Would this kind be ok (obviously it would have a different shape to hook to the soil pipe).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FH9PSQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I don't know if the accordion style things are any good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back