Your advice on pedestal sink needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yazfan

Reaction score
After 12 years I replaced the sink on the bathroom pedestal, there was no prior drainage problem. Now the basin on the new sink fills after ~12 seconds. When I took apart the pedestal I also cleared the P-trap, extension pipe, and drain of hair, sludge, etc.

I sawed about 1" of the the tail pipe on the new sink as it seemed to set a little low in the vertical pipe.

Also, the drain pipe turns a quick right (close to 90 degrees) as soon as the horizontal pipe enters the wall. So I also sawed about 1" so the end of the horizontal so that it doesn't hit the back of the drain pipe.

I don't think the sink stopper is set too low as the basin would fill immediately. Why is the basin filling and/slow draining?
Any troubleshooting ideas will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

Last edited:
i would take a look at the ptrap, and verify the pipe going into the wall is not blocking flow

also, remove the pop up assembly. see if that helps. the linkage

may have hair,soap hanging off of it

the top of the pop up, screws up/ down ck it is up

you say it's a new sink and was draining fine before you replaced it?

Does it have an over flow? sometimes sink will drain slow because the get air locked. the stopper may not be up high enough. Like Frodo said take it out and see how it drains. Still slow?? Snake the drain in the wall.

Thanks for the replies. The sink was draining fine before I replaced it and I snaked the drain pipe in the wall, so it should drain better. The pop-up is at its highest setting. If it's a pop-up issue then wouldn't the basin would fill immediately rather than after 12 seconds? In any case, I removed it and it still drains slow. Could it be a slope issue with the horizontal pipe that runs into the wall?

I'm stumped. I was curious to see the advice, good advice so far. It could be that the horizontal piece of the p-trap has backfall but still I would think that it would drain okay even with backfall. Try shortening the vertical tail piece so you have adequate slope on the horizontal piece. And even if the horizontal piece was too long it can only go into the santee in the wall only so far because the santee in the wall has a curve downwards so the horizontal piece could only go in the santee until it hits the curve. This is a stumper.

I'm stumped. I was curious to see the advice, good advice so far. It could be that the horizontal piece of the p-trap has backfall but still I would think that it would drain okay even with backfall. Try shortening the vertical tail piece so you have adequate slope on the horizontal piece. And even if the horizontal piece was too long it can only go into the santee in the wall only so far because the santee in the wall has a curve downwards so the horizontal piece could only go in the santee until it hits the curve. This is a stumper.

no, the tee's throat is bigger than the j-bend.
the j-bend will go all the way to he back of the tee.

a ptrap will slip into a 1 1/2'' pipe
the throat is no smaller than the 1 1/2 pipe.

1430075638717.jpg

Frodo,

Do you recommend that the horizontal pipe touch the back of the T? I sawed it so it doesn't thinking it would result in greater flow before the T makes a sharp right turn? Per the photo, the P-Trap connects to the horizontal which then goes into the wall, i.e., the J doesn't go directly into the wall.

I'm not a professional so I'm probably stating the obvious.

Solved.

When I snaked the drain behind the wall using a 2' plastic bendable tool meant for that purpose, I pushed some of the gunk further down. It became lodged at the T junction where the drain pipe vents up. I initially couldn't make the sharp turn with a traditional metal snake, but my friend who's a GC was able to.

I've reconstructed that pedestal sink at least eight times, they're a pain. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

no, the picture shows the pipe "CAN" hit the back of the tee

if it does, you have a no drain situation.

I beg to differ. A 2" sanitary tee has a curve so the p-trap horizontal piece cannot hit the back of the 2" sanitary tee. The only way that the p-trap horizontal piece can hit the back is if someone is using a cleanout tee which should only be used as a clean out and not for other purposes.

Back