Yet another "ID my shower valve" thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digital_Larry

Reaction score
I've pulled these out and replaced the washer on the end to stop the leaking. That much is OK.

However, the external cosmetic bits (tube and cover disc, whatever it's called) are rusted onto the valve body and cannot easily be removed. I would like to replace them as they are all crusted with scale and scratched up from my previous servicing attempts.

In the past I had taken this apart and the decorative tube appears threaded on the inside to mate with the valve part (stem)? and conceivably be replaced.

House was built about 20 years ago and I don't recall the brand, Kohler/Moen seem likely but really not sure. I get the impression that these things are not interchangeable between brands.

Question:
what are these pieces actually called?

I guess once I know what they are called, I can search for replacements etc. Searching for "tub valve" e.g. at Amazon or Home Depot returns vast scads of things which are not this so I get the impression I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Thanks!

DL

OK I'm going to break through the suspense. Mfr is Price-Pfister. I went to local Ace Hardware and the guy didn't know the mfr. or have anything directly replacing it and wasn't too sure about installation details.

1/2 mile later at the plumbing specialty store they told me all about it and found the price list with the tub valve rebuild kit. Only surprise was "you can't get white any more". So I got chrome instead. Yes I actually ordered it through a brick and mortar shop.

Reactions: SHR
One of my points of confusion came from the fact that I'd taken the valve out of the decorative tube previously and thought perhaps it would be possible to simply replace the decorative tube. However the rebuild kits are simply a whole new valve assembly including the decorative parts.

One of my points of confusion came from the fact that I'd taken the valve out of the decorative tube previously and thought perhaps it would be possible to simply replace the decorative tube. However the rebuild kits are simply a whole new valve assembly including the decorative parts.

:confused: You can take the tube off of the stem unless time and corrosion has bonded them together.

The white 2 piece tube and flange are the newer type of trim. they screw directly onto the valve STEM bonnet. That same trim will work on the washerless/ceramic stem assemblies as well.

The older style stem did not have the threads on the bonnet. they instead used a plastic nipple screwed into the stem packing nut and a one piece escutcheon was used. Photo with new vs old The new one is a diverter stem

the newer style stems are shorter. The valve body for both are the same so the stems are interchangeable. UNLESS you have a valve body that was seatless and designed specifically for the ceramic/seatless type stems.

If you where replacing the washer on you stems them there should also be a replaceable seat inside the valve body

PP tube type trim.jpg

PP old  vs new stems.jpg

PP stem.jpg

PP tube  & flange.jpg

PP verve rebuild kit.jpg

these are the seatless/ceramic stem. both interchangeable.

PP ceramic.jpg

PP stem ceramic.jpg

Thanks for the extra detail. Yeah these things are all rusted together, the set screw on the circular flange isn't going anywhere and the tubes aren't about to come off. Yes the rebuild kit also comes with replacement valve seats.

Latest posts

Back