Yet Another Dishwasher Won't Drain Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnInPaso

Reaction score
After reading many related forum threads, I still cannot figure out why my dishwasher won't drain properly and would be grateful for some advice.

The dishwasher was discovered to have standing water after a normal wash cycle. The drain line is connected to an air gap and the other hose from the air gap connected the the drain line under the sink (no garbage disposal in place).

The sink drains fine and I checked the lines leading to and from the air gap, they have no obstructions. I replaced the air gap (the old one looked bad).

Still no joy, the dishwasher does not empty. So....I pulled the washer drain line off the air gap and put it into a bucket and ran the wash cycle again. This time it drained properly?

Again I checked hose exiting the air gap to be sure it wasn't kinked or blocked, but get the same result - when the washers drain line is connected to the air gap the washer won't empty?

Could it be a failing or weak pump maybe? I can't figure it out? :confused:

Shawn

No offense at all and thanks for asking. Actually I did not know they are marked. The drain line from the washer is the smaller of the two and it is connected to the small side of the air gap. The large connection on the air gap leads to the sink drain pipe. In other words, I replaced the air gap as I found it.

ok, you said you disconnected the the air gap fitting. everything was clear, the washer drained.

then you put it back together, it would not drain.

it is 1 of 2 things, broke, or in backwards. you can check a air gap fitting by blowing in the "outlet' side it should not let you

http://screencast.com/t/EB10rY0eN

you can do away with the air gap fitting, hook the hose to the drain,

Could still use some help with this dishwasher not draining.

I tried the above two actions, unfortunately it still won't drain. So I did a little more checking. Turns out, it will only drain when the "cancel" button is pushed (I watched it drain into a bucket to be sure).

Then, I watched the dishwasher as it went through a normal wash cycle. I watched as the lights on the front went from wash, to rinse, then to dry. Nothing drains after wash (not sure if it is supposed to yet), and nothing drains after rinse. I waited a bit into the dry cycle and then opened the door to see standing water a few inches deep. Eventually I pushed the cancel button and the water drained out.

What I don't get is how the motor obviously works when cancel is pushed but won't work during the normal cycle? :confused:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Back