Yard Water Valve Cover

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indysas

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on opening this main water valve cover in my yard. The main valve in my basement leaks so I need to replace it. The top cover is a little loose, but when I try to uncrew the brass 5 sided bolt, nothing turns. Would this turn counter clockwise (I do have a 5 point socket). Thank you.

Attachments

• 20221010_165606.jpg
    20221010_165606.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
It is probably stripped, since it is only plastic. Apply some lifting pressure under the lid, near where the screw is located, since the opposite side will have a slot and it won't help by lifting that side.

Thank you. I will give it a try. Should the bolt turn? I cannot get it to do anything.

Is the pentagon-shaped bolt metal or plastic? What are you using to try and remove it? If metal, if may simply too tight or corroded for removal with pliers, etc. Amazon sells socket wrenches for five-sided bolts and there are also those universal sockets with a bunch of spring-loaded pins to grip irregularly shaped or damaged bolt heads that would work.

It looks like brass). I did buy a socket from amazon (thank you for the suggestion). I cranked on it with a 3/8 drive but was afraid I may snap it. I am thinking about using an impact driver but dont want to snap the bolt. I am pretty certain it has not been touched for about 13 years.

It looks like brass). I did buy a socket from amazon (thank you for the suggestion). I cranked on it with a 3/8 drive but was afraid I may snap it. I am thinking about using an impact driver but dont want to snap the bolt. I am pretty certain it has not been touched for about 13 years.
I'd advise against using an impact wrench but if it won't come out without breaking than what's left to do? Archimedes once said,

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. ”​

I'd go ahead and put a breaker bar on it and give it what for. If you can get Amazon to take it back, I'd opt for a 1/2" drive socket as well. The worst that could happen is that you break the head off the bolt and then you'd need an "EZ Out" or similar to extract what's let.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...yc72osf7AhWiLFkFHdznB28Qwg8oAHoECAUQEA&adurl=

This is what you need. If you cannot get it with this them I would say just cut it and drill it out. Why don't you call the water company? They should be the ones to open and shut it off. If the valve stares leaking when you turn it you're responsible. If they do it and it leaks they are responsible. I never shut them myself

Thank you everyone for your advice. I got the 5 point socket and used an impact wrench and bam, it came off. It was rusty! Thank you again for the advice!

FWIW...
I have a similar cover over my water meter. The bolt is also 5-sided. I found that the bolt only needs to be turned not more that 45 degrees counter-clockwise and then the cover can be removed. The cover (actually the entire meter pit) was replaced a couple years ago when the City installed a new meter.

Back