Y joint plugged under the cap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Parker

Reaction score
I removed the screw cap off of the cleanout and there is plug inside. How do I remove this plug in order to access the cleanout?

I have a clog somewhere in my pipes causing my kitchen sink to back up. I tried plunging and lye with no luck. I ran a 25’ snake from under the sink and that didn’t do the trick either. I assume the snake isn’t long enough, or somehow it is making a wrong turn. So, I went into the crawl space under my house to run the snake through the clean out. When I removed the screw cap, there was a plug inside. How do I remove this plug to get access to the cleanout? Do I have to punch or cut it out?

Thanks for the help!

0261D2A0-9ACB-4760-A1FC-E984E6AF12EB.jpeg
1824DDD4-3DF3-42B9-871D-4BAFEB8C1B91.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh that looks like a test cap that was never removed. Hammer ad screw driver. "peel" it out.

My house was built in 1994.

I punched out the cap and water started pouring out. The clog was about 4 feet down the pipe. I contribute the clog to eggshell build up. We eat eggs everyday. There were a lot of tiny shell pieces settled at the bottom of the pipe. So, no more eggshells down the garbage disposal!

Latest posts

Back