Wye

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is at the start of my 50 foot (straight to city main) 4 inch pipe. Because of the tight fit would this wye I found at Lowes work for replacing the iron? See pics

Attachments

• PXL_20210517_042223450.jpg
    PXL_20210517_042223450.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20210518-125654.png
    Screenshot_20210518-125654.png
    360.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here is the pipe coming from the bathroom into the wye. I'm no plumber but shouldn't that iron pipe be sloping the other direction?

Attachments

• PXL_20210518_220551050.jpg
    PXL_20210518_220551050.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210518_220338360.jpg
    PXL_20210518_220338360.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
You’re correct the house drain exiting the foundation is back pitched.

The cast iron fitting in the hole is a sanitary tee on its side, the pvc fitting you have posted is a combination and is the correct fitting.

Just bought this house not a year ago. The previous owner was a real fixer upper. A jack of all trades, master of none. Just got back from Lowes and of course they didn't have the sweep wye in stock, even though the app said they did, so I got the regular wye and an elbow. The toilet is about eight feet from the end of that back pitched point but flushes all right. Sounds like a hard flush but never had clogged so far. There is a bathtub connected to it I'm sure because it's inline but never used.

The pipe going under the slab is crushed, smashed really oval shaped but not crushed through like the end at the iron tye. It looks like the previous owner just put two pieces of half pipe over the crush then filled in. You can see the two black halves In the last pic lol. Gonna dig further under the slab tomorrow to see how far the caved pipe goes.

You’re correct the house drain exiting the foundation is back pitched.

The cast iron fitting in the hole is a sanitary tee on its side, the pvc fitting you have posted is a combination and is the correct fitting.
Should I order the sweep wye off the internet and wait for it to come in or will the 45 degree sewer drain wye with a 45 fitting attached be enough?

The wye and 1/8th bend (45) will be fine.
Any idea what this black pipe/tubing is (red arrow)? From what I'm guessing the old sewage line went to a septic tank, before city sewer, in the direction of the blue line (dug up old discarded pipe through there). Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• PXL_20210525_015059030_1.jpg
    PXL_20210525_015059030_1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210525_015238240.jpg
    PXL_20210525_015238240.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
My water meter is opposite this side of house. Old water line maybe like a pump? From the time they ran septic before the city drain? Just curious actually cause I've already backfilled it. Will be helpful to know if it was dead for when I do a complete reroute around the concrete slab in the future. Thank you

How critical is it getting the fittings lined up just right? The arrow marks are where I dry fitted the first time and thought good. Then I got to thinking about the 1/8 going into the wye that makes the long sweep wye changing my slope slightly but probably not that it would matter?. I understand the one fluid motion concept of fittings but considering my downfalls, back pitched from house, short fall, original piping under concrete slab stretch, etc. I think I just answered my own question, to keep it the way the fittings were supposed to line up, but would like to hear some experts. I overthink things (perfectionist some would say) to the point I'm disabled. A trait that I couldn't shake after serving in Iraq. Im on a month to month VA income or believe me I would have loved to have a professional plumber do this but I just had to pay a deductible ($1000) to have a new roof put on caused by piss poor roofing on the previous owner and high winds blowing the shingles off. Would be more deductible on sewage because the whole line to city needs replaced. 25 foot of 50 under concrete. Anyway yeah. I guess I just need a licensed plumber to tell me a slit upcurve of the wye with a little less slope of the joining1/8 wouldn't be that much of a deal

Attachments

• PXL_20210525_063022764.jpg
    PXL_20210525_063022764.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Is the wye under the deck the main or the pipe coming out of the foundation?

Is the wye under the deck the main or the pipe coming out of the foundation?
It is the very start of the main going 50 foot in a straight line (under the slab for half unfortunately) to city. There is a new bathroom/laundry room that was added some time in the past from previous owner that ties in to it about 15 to 20 foot before city.

It's a quick fix for now till I can save up a few grand and have a plumber install a whole new main that will come out straight at that wye and completely go around the slab and into the city.

Well, it's time to replace. Thought this band aid I did would last a little longer but, oh well. Roots and me using a bladder to unclog clogs made the old pipe collapse further down the line. But I have a question on my first fix here. Everything here will be cut out, yes it hurts, and from that drop I will be starting the replacement run. It will be 11' to a long sweep 90° into a 30' straight then the last turn will be made with a 22 1/2 back into the original straight to tie in (just 4 feet from the city street. Basically going around the concrete slab. After removing my wye and clean out will the pitch here be too much and need to be dropped down with 45's or can I coupling into that pitch down to my run depth?

Attachments

• PXL_20220315_182137436.jpg
    PXL_20220315_182137436.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Back