Wrong drainage pipe installation - blocked drainage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dharm_ram

Reaction score
Just moved in to this house and it is full of problems. Though, I was expecting surprises to come up, but didn't knew so soon. So, my main washroom dainage is complete blocked, water not even moving a inch. Opened up the drainage pipes I could, removed the clogged dirt, hair and everything else, but problem is still there.

I wonder if something is wrong in drainage pipe installation. I showed it to homedepot people and they suggest its fine. I sometimes doubt homedepot peoples information as in past many times I have noticed they give wrong information as they want people to hire their contractors and get the job done through them.

I am attaching the picture of washroom drainage - picture 2 which has blocked drainage. I also doubt kitchen sink drainage pipe installation is not proper as well - Picture 1

I will appreciate if experts can give their views and suggest changes to be done. Thanks

24vnt55.jpg

that is an S trap, it will always block and it will also syphon. Its a bad install in all ways as it should also not pass through the floor and instead come out of the wall to be proper. the easy way would be to re do this and put a T fitting where the 180' Down sweep is and run a cheater vent off of the top of the T ( all this downstream of the p-trap of course.

the top pic is also done wrong. the one compartment of the sink should 90 over to the other ( underneith and join the vertical pipe by means of a t-wye fitting.. the p trap goes directlly beneith this installation.

I wager you heve even more plumbing problems if this is just what you see at the surface ( not in the walls or under floor )

Good luck .

Thank Liquid,

I called 2 plumbers to give me quote to redo the job and correct it. But both of them said the pipes are done properly and doesnt need any change. Even Homedepot guy also said that they are done properly and suggested me to rent a snake to clean the clog myself. Dont know really what to do

dharm_ram, I don't know in what part of the country you live, but I'm sure that all of the plumbers on this forum would agree that there is nothing that is correct about the plumbing you have shown. You should really continue a search of the area for a licensed plumber. Renting a snake would be throwing your money away as clogs will continue and, as Liquid stated, sewer stink will enter your home via the s-trap in photo #2. Be patient and persistent when looking for the right plumber and tell the manager at Home Depot that their guys should quit giving plumbing advice. They are a danger to the health and safety of the community.
Good luck in the search and keep us posted as to what you find.

Guys, so, I got it fixed yesterday through some licensed plumber as advised by Caduceus. Thanks to Liquid and Caduceus for your valuable suggestions. The clog is now clean and the new drainage system in place with Air Admittance Vent.

2ptqddz.jpg

Your plumber should have used a long sweep 90 where it goes from vertical to horizontal, and a medium sweep for the other 90 but what you have is still better than what what you had before.

Latest posts

Back