Wrench too long... other tool suggestion?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shabangle

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first delve into the forums, but hope to get involved more as my knowledge develops.

I'm trying to unscrew a nut on the base of my toilet in order to change a fill valve (which I'm comfortable with). However, to unscrew the nut, my wrench is way too long! Please see pic below. I'm aware that shorter wrenches are available, but is there another tool that could be useful when trying to unscrew nuts with little space to work in?
20201102_110033.jpg
Thanks for any help,
Shaba

Where is Bury?

Most US toilets have the fill valve on the other side.

Unless maybe the website flipped your pic, which can happen?

Looks like your toilet location would not be up to code in the US, not enough clearance, unless you sat on the throne side saddle.
Maybe some tight ones are grandfathered in?

What is the toilet alcove minimum width, anybody?

You could also access those nuts with shower valve sockets, check on Google to see what I mean.

And maybe also some deep well mechanic’s sockets, or automotive sockets for spark plugs, both of which also can have an extension bar to
let you turn a socket wrench handle up to about a foot away from the socket, where you have more room.

Thanks havasu, I just found Bury on Google.

I know Europe is famous for tiny bathrooms.

you can always take the tank off the toilet and replace the fill valve

Good idea!

But then, you might have to change all the other hardware or gaskets and washers that connect the tank to the bowl.

Because they get dried out or warped or stiff or crumbly, and don’t usually like being taken apart, unless they are pretty new.

But still a great idea, and maybe those parts are due for a swap out anyway.

Thanks havasu, I just found Bury on Google.

I know Europe is famous for tiny bathrooms.

Hi Jeff, as Havasu says... it's Bury, Lancashire, not Bury St Edmonds. I'm a proud northener :p What suburb of Chicago? I've never been but the L looks a fun way to travel.

Some great suggestions here, the socket's won't be quite right as the nut is on a thread so can't get round it... but that basin wrench!!! What a beaut, will give that a pop if the pliers don't do the job.

Cheers all

The El is handy but pretty much just like riding a bus or train.
Sometimes kind of bumpy, rattling along with sudden swerves.
If you look out the windows, you will swear that you are going to hit an apartment building or bridge, but the El clears it by a few feet, sometimes by less.

It was cobbled together over many decades from smaller rail lines that were consolidated.

If you have access to any PBS shows over there, there are a few great documentaries from WTTW, which is a PBS station in Chicago.

The nut being blocked by a threaded stem is the reason a deep well socket could reach it.

Or a shower valve socket, such as one from a set like this.

5-Piece Plumber's Socket Set with Bar Handle

https://www.homedepot.com/p/205807861

Sorry Jeff, I think my original photo doesn't make it clear that there's a bend in the stem which would make the sockets unusable...

This pic (at the bottom) is way clearer.

So with the lock pliers I've made (slow) progress with the nut, but have paused for now... as I'm nervous to use those teeth again on the plastic washer at the top. Is it an appropriate tool? Starting to wonder that the basin wrench may be better. Thanks for any further steer :)

Picture1.png

Attachments

• 20201103_211445.jpg
    20201103_211445.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 4
Wow, this pic looks nothing like the first one, to my eyes.

Basin wrench should be able to move both of those nuts.

Looks like the plastic nut might not be able to turn unless the tank is taken off.
Hard to tell from this angle.

How about loosening the white plastic nut, then just unscrew the Fluidmaster from inside the tank, making sure the white nut stays away from the porcelain?

first time I have ever seen a toilet piped like that,

Latest posts

Back