woodford model 14 leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovine0001

Reaction score
So I know these leak when the seals fail and on one of my other faucets i have replaced the seals and it is working fine. I had another one and replaced its seals but it still dribbles when I turn it off. To be clear, it dribbles out the mouth of the faucet, not at a seam. I bought a new shank for it (which has new seals too) and was planning to throw that in next, but I thought I would stop a moment and see if anyone had any input to give.

I can't tell you if this has ever frozen. We really don't have too much cold weather here.

Thanks

FYI: the model 14 is the same as the 17 but without antisiphon.

Water leaking from the spout is a worn washer at the end of the shank. The new shank should have a new washer already on it, just check that the screw is not loose before installing.

I thought that you had stated you bought a new shank and had not installed it yet. My advice was to check the screw securing the washer to the shank before installing.
If you installed the new shank with the new washer/screw, new packing, packing nut and packing washer and still have dribbling from the spout, you may have to remove them (all of the new parts) and inspect the inside of the valve for debris, scaling or damage where the washer seats to seal inside the valve body.

Back