Wobbly Toilet- will it cause damage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkmiller

Reaction score
I have two toilet questions:

1. I just had hardwoods installed, and I noticed afterwards that my toilet is now wobbly, and the there's approximately a 3/16 difference in height from the front to the back. Can this lead to leaking or damage to the toilet? Can I just shim the toilet and re-caulk?

2. My upstairs toilet has a problem with water hammering when we flush. Should I replace the parts inside the toilet or is this a issue to live with?

Thanks for your help.

A

I would definitely correct the rocking, whether by shimming the toilet or tightening it down. A rocking toilet will soon start to leak, and very possibly break the flange.

Concerning #2, if you are experiencing water hammer (which in my experience is rare with a toilet fill valve), I would try replacing the fill valve. Many of our members like the FluidMaster valves. A fill valve should not shut off so quickly that it causes water hammer, that type of problem is usually caused by solenoid operated valves found on dishwashers, icemakers, and washing machines.

Latest posts

Back