Wobbly Toilet Fix

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife's mother is 95 and has 24 X 7 care in her own home. She is unable to walk and is moved around via a wheelchair. She is unable to be moved to the second floor full bath so must be given sponge baths while sitting on a booster seat on the toilet which is on the first floor. The bathroom is small and moving her to and from the toilet seems to be putting some strain on the toilet and it has become wobbly. I'm afraid that the wax seal will get broken and leak. Is there any way to supplement the bolts securing the toilet to the floor? I was thinking of making a wooden yoke to go around the base of the toilet and securing it to the floor. It doesn't have to be pretty....just functional. Any ideas? Thank You.

If it is already wobbly, pull the toilet, clean the bottom of it, as well as the floor it sits on. Replace the wax ring with a fresh one, then use caulking to seal the toilet to the floor. I would leave a 1" to 2" gap in the back of the toilet as a visual assist if your wax ring breaks away. Give the toilet a 12 hour break before using and you should be solid as a rock.

If it is already wobbly, pull the toilet, clean the bottom of it, as well as the floor it sits on. Replace the wax ring with a fresh one, then use caulking to seal the toilet to the floor. I would leave a 1" to 2" gap in the back of the toilet as a visual assist if your wax ring breaks away. Give the toilet a 12 hour break before using and you should be solid as a rock.

What type of caulking? Phenoseal?

Latest posts

Back