Why?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm better inside and on counter. I have a hard time making cold calls.
I didn't mean cold calls. I couldn't do that either. I meant a sales person that calls on all the non house accounts. The bigger guys that buy in bulk and that the company doesn't want to lose to any other supplier. You could be a big help in that department. If they like you, they would buy more from you. Best of both worlds. If your real savy, you might even get them to buy your lunch. It works with Frodo. (Probably only once though)

And if you notice, you often get more than one opinion from plumbers. It seems to depend on what area they are from and how they experienced their apprenticeship

And then you have hacks. Some of the stuff I have seen here during my education is scary... :eek:.

Yeah depending on where you go, people call pipe, lengths, sticks, or joints. I miss being in the field sometimes. But alas, Metal joints in the back don't bend so good anymore.

I'm better inside and on counter. I have a hard time making cold calls. I guess maybe because I have been on other side of fence and I don't want to feel like a bother.

get you a business card,

when the guys/gals come in for parts, you know most of em, plumbing house is pretty much same guys day after after day.

you know, who is "just a plumber"as opposed to "the foreman"

hand your card out to the foreman or owners, tell them if they need anything to ask for you.

If you start getting clients asking for you, you boss will put you on a desk
$$$$$

start researching what "submittals" are.
and "division 15 "

rantings of a lunatic

Yeah depending on where you go, people call pipe, lengths, sticks, or joints. I miss being in the field sometimes. But alas, Metal joints in the back don't bend so good anymore.

different ares, different terminology

I went to Colorado to plumb a boiler room.
their was some digging to be done and the local guys said the excavator would be here monday, this was the mountains, pita gotta truck in everything,
I never heard of an excavator. The way they were talking this was a huge machine that could move the whole mountain at i time.
So, instead of saying I did not know the HUGE machine.
I just 'hide and watched"
monday came around and a TRACKHOE showed up.
where is this excavator ?

Yeah, here they call those little trackhoe's excavator's. I pulled one home a month ago with my 1/2 ton pickup. I wonder what they call Backhoe's these days?

get you a business card,

when the guys/gals come in for parts, you know most of em, plumbing house is pretty much same guys day after after day.

you know, who is "just a plumber"as opposed to "the foreman"

hand your card out to the foreman or owners, tell them if they need anything to ask for you.

If you start getting clients asking for you, you boss will put you on a desk
$$$$$

start researching what "submittals" are.
and "division 15 "

rantings of a lunatic

I know what submittals are but I will look up division 15 dear.

division 1500 is the plumbing/ mechanical division in a set of specs for a job.

they tell you what the owner / arch has spec'ed out.

that is where the info for the submittals comes from

division 1500 is a book that accompanies a set of prints, we usually give them to you.
then holler where are my submittals ???? LOL

Last edited:
division 1500 is the plumbing/ mechanical division in a set of specs for a job.

they tell you what the owner / arch has spec'ed out.

that is where the info for the submittals comes from

division 1500 is a book that accompanies a set of prints, we usually give them to you.
then holler where are my submittals ???? LOL

book? I'm just used to seeing a set of plans. :p

Back