Why?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHEPLMBR

She-Plmbr River Rat
Professional
Sponsor
Reaction score
Why is it that when us professionals are asked questions and we give our answers on how to better remedy a problem, the person who is doing the asking always knows more? Then don't ask please.

The same happens to me when I'm at work and another tradesman will ask with an idea already in mind as to what should be done. After I give the advice he/she will debate their idea expecting me to change my initial advice. Except for Jerry...Jerry's cool and always does just as I say ( and he's sitting behind me right now).

I have always called it "biting the hand that feeds you". The DIY'er comes here, asks a question, a pro answers it, then the OP wants to argue with the pro. What's to argue, you asked a pro a question, he answered it to the best of his knowledge from the info given by the OP. Now the OP want's to debate the answer. Why ask in the first place if he/she already knew the answer (in his mind). It's happened to me at least a dozen times.

I see it a lot here in the wholesale business. I get tired of arguing and let it go.

I see it a lot here in the wholesale business. I get tired of arguing and let it go.
It's probably a lot easier that way. Besides, that person isn't going to listen anyhow.
What items do you wholesale?

It's probably a lot easier that way. Besides, that person isn't going to listen anyhow.
What items do you wholesale?

I did new construction plumbing for ten years then entered wholesale. HVAC and Plumbing

So your one of the counter people who actually knows what your talking about.

You being a girl with experience probably makes some of your customers feel a little uncomfortable. I imagine some of them just want to try and prove you wrong. It's a guy thing!;)

You being a girl with experience probably makes some of your customers feel a little uncomfortable. I imagine some of them just want to try and prove you wrong. It's a guy thing!;)

Actually, most find it very easy to talk to me. At my former employer, I used to joke I was gonna put up a tip jar because I felt more like a bartender. It's mostly the middle east nationalities that have a problem with me and usually do not acknowledge me. many of my customers, I worked with out in the field before I went inside. Did construction 10 years and have been in sales for 10. Uh oh. Just aged myself.

I find it easier to deal with just 1 salesman,

he is who i call to order and ***** at.

he gets call from me like. where is my order?
has it left the factory yet?

him it might have
me. mites are something on a chickens butt !!! where is my material ? lol.....

I buy direct from manufacturers 85% of the time so don't have to deal with supply houses much. I do like to have one person to deal with though. Things get done easier and quicker that way. And now and they they buy you lunch. Never had that at a supply house. You ever consider outside sales? You could call on Frodo and buy him lunch.

I did a job where I ordered 350 Kohler Cast Iron tubs.
the kohler rep came out to the job, I had a few with cracks, i wanted replaced
lunch time rolled around, We went off the Base to get lunch.

Cheap bastid said he forgot his wallet, I bought him lunch

working with just one salesman is the only way to go. none of that well who did you talk to crap

Gotta jump in here.......sometimes I "debate" because I want to get a better understanding of WHY something is wrong..... In my case, I still have to convince somebody ELSE to fix it, so I have to get educated and be prepared to exhaust all THEIR arguments as well. No disrespect intended, I am grateful for the advice given here.

I buy direct from manufacturers 85% of the time so don't have to deal with supply houses much. I do like to have one person to deal with though. Things get done easier and quicker that way. And now and they they buy you lunch. Never had that at a supply house. You ever consider outside sales? You could call on Frodo and buy him lunch.

I'm better inside and on counter. I have a hard time making cold calls. I guess maybe because I have been on other side of fence and I don't want to feel like a bother.

Gotta jump in here.......sometimes I "debate" because I want to get a better understanding of WHY something is wrong.....

In my case, I still have to convince somebody ELSE to fix it, so I have to get educated and be prepared to exhaust all THEIR arguments as well. No disrespect intended, I am grateful for the advice given here.

And if you notice, you often get more than one opinion from plumbers. It seems to depend on what area they are from and how they experienced their apprenticeship

And then you have hacks. Some of the stuff I have seen here during my education is scary... :eek:.

Latest posts

Back