Why is the tile surrounding my toilet gray?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckincbloodmoney

Reaction score
Hello plumbing forums,
I was wondering why the tile surrounding my toilet is gray in color. This seems to have appeared within the past year or two and I'm unable to remove it with pinesol, clorox bleach spray, comet, water or hard scrubbing with bristles. I'm guessing it might not be on the surface of the tile, but perhaps it's some trapped moisture/mold underneath the tile...what do you guys think?

My brother seems to note that the bathroom in which this toilet is in will start to "stink" literally a day after I deep clean it (with pinesol, comet, etc.) I don't know if it has something to do with those gray spots....or because it's a bathroom...lol.

Toilet 1.jpg

Toilet 2.jpg

:eek:

Your toilet needs to be reset.

Alright, guess I'll have to call a plumber out to do that, or perhaps my dad knows how to do that. Thanks for the help, but what do the gray spots indicate? Is it toxic mold or somethin?

The wax seal under the toilet has failed, and the dark spots is water that has penetrated the flooring, and has turned it to a moldy mess.

Thank you guys. I'll pass this info on to my dad, so we can buy a new toilet, fix the seal...and probably get new tile.

Toilet is probably fine. I would replace flooring and wax ring and re set it. Should be good to go.

Hell, you might as well ask for a new car from him! Who knows....maybe you might get lucky?

If the wax seal breaks, you don't need a new toilet. You just need a new wax ring.
Changing the wax ring does not have to be done by a plumber.
1. Shut off the water to the toilet and drain the water from the toilet
2. Remove the nuts that hold the toilet to the bolts
3. Cut the caulk around the toilet so it won't grab when you go to lift it
4. Get a plastic trash bag or something to set under the toilet as you lift it
5. Carefully set the toilet aside,
6. Clean off the old wax ring from the flange thoroughly,
7. Clean of the wax residue on the bottom of the toilet thoroughly,
8. Put down a new wax ring,
9. Put drinking straws on the bolts to help you guide the toilet back in place to make sure you are setting it right
10. Sit on the toilet to make sure it is pressing down (wax will ooze out from the bolt holes),
11. Tighten the nuts back on the bolts (carefully-- don't overtighten).

It is probably best to remove the old caulk and put some new 100% silicone around 3 sides of the toilet (front and sides). If you leave it uncaulked at the back, you will be able to see when water comes out so you will know it is time to change the wax ring again.

Editing to add that you should look at the condition of the floor underneath the toilet. If it appears that the floor is rotting, you might need to repair the subfloor. You might also need to replace that linoleum (it looks like linoleum rather than real tile). It is best to do that while the toilet is lifted. Once the sewage has soaked in to the linoleum like that, it's pretty much ruined and will continue to stink. Installing new linoleum is not that complicated.
Note: "linoleum" is a term often used to refer to vinyl sheet / sheet vinyl.

Last edited:
It likely would not have gotten that bad if your toilet was not siliconed the entire way around the base. Common practice is to seal 1/2 to 3/4 of the base so if the seal leaks, water runs out onto the floor where you may notice it.

Latest posts

Back