Why can't I install a wall mount toilet here?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxoler

Reaction score
Here’s a picture showing where a floor mount toilet is going to go after I was told a wall mount wasn’t possible. The waste pipe has yet to be connected (to the pipe farther in) but we have the trench dug into the concrete basement floor. It’s 5” deep. A new wall is being built behind that toilet as shown.

The plumber said there's "not enough height" for the wall mount. I believe he's trying to tell me that in the trench between the current waste pipe and the toilet, there isn't enough slope for a wall mount.

To me, it seems like we could easily put the wall mount tank into the wall and connect to the planned waste pipe. Do you see any reason a wall mount won't work here?

If it’s a pipe slope issue, does a wall mount need a different slope than for the planned floor mount?

1st Fl Bath Toilet IMG_9208.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a picture showing where a floor mount toilet is going to go after I was told a wall mount wasn’t possible. The waste pipe has yet to be connected (to the pipe farther in) but we have the trench dug into the concrete basement floor. It’s 5” deep. A new wall is being built behind that toilet as shown.

The plumber said there's "not enough height" for the wall mount. There is a language barrier but I believe he's trying to tell me that in the trench between the current waste pipe and the toilet, there isn't enough slope for a wall mount.

To me, it seems like we could easily put the wall mount tank into the wall and connect to the planned waste pipe. Do you see any reason a wall mount won't work here?

If it’s a pipe slope issue, does a wall mount need a different slope than for the planned floor mount?

View attachment 25078
I installed on in my 1st house the flange roughed in at 4 1/2 “ from the floor to the center of the flangei mounted
A piece of plywood between the studs to secure the flange
The toilet I put in was on the second floor I was able to come up thru the floor
And run behind the studs

Last edited:
I don’t see any issue with a wall mount in that location. The wall is open, so getting the framing set up for it shouldn’t be an issue. You might have to go to a 2X6 wall, but that shouldn’t be an issue. And, the plumbing isn’t roughed in, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve had people say that you can’t use wall mounts because they think all wall mounts are using pressure valves instead of tanks. But there are some tank type wall mount toilets out there, and there are carriers which have a built in pressure reservoir, which gives sufficient volume and pressure to run the toilet without a tank.

doesn’t matter if it’s a carrier or a floor mount for venting purposes. Here is a pic of one properly installed, inspected and ready for drywall/tile

Attachments

• A8AC13D4-4AC6-465F-85AC-5BF5C7800809.jpeg
    A8AC13D4-4AC6-465F-85AC-5BF5C7800809.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back