Whole House Water Filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you need any filter with supposedly treated municipal water??? It's already treated.

Buy a softener to remove the hardness and be done with it.

Impurities (sand/particulates/turbicity/tannins/cysts/etc), chlorine/chlorarmines, lead, arsenic and the ever dangerous possibility of a Japanese midget submarine slipping through. They (government) treats the water to hopefully make it through the distribution system. What is at your home entry? Do you actually trust the government (Flint)?

Why a water softener if no hard water?

Where have you ever seen municipal water that wasn't hard? It has to come either from an above ground water source or a well. Both are hard. Lake/River water about 7 grains, well water generally in the mid teens. Tannin comes from cypress tree roots and turns your water tea color. Sand in municipal water, I don't think so. I don't know what particulates or turbicity are and if you did have Giuarida Cysts your municipal water company hasn't been doing their job.

I have a well so I don't worry about what the gubt added to my water.

Where have you ever seen municipal water that wasn't hard? It has to come either from an above ground water source or a well. Both are hard. Lake/River water about 7 grains, well water generally in the mid teens. Tannin comes from cypress tree roots and turns your water tea color. Sand in municipal water, I don't think so. I don't know what particulates or turbicity are and if you did have Giuarida Cysts your municipal water company hasn't been doing their job.

I have a well so I don't worry about what the gubt added to my water.

Coffee and tea are tannin's. Tannin's are sourced from rotting vegetation in some water sources.

There are no sediments in municipal water? Why do they have to flush the lines (or should) on a regular basis? Why are toilet tanks full of sediment and mud?

In the mid-1980s several Pennsylvania communities experienced outbreaks of a waterborne disease called Giardiasis. Hundreds of citizens suffered with symptoms ranging from mild nausea to acute, severe intestinal distress. How did the Giardia cysts enter drinking water supplies? Studies showed that the outbreaks occurred in communities with inadequate chlorination systems, improperly operated and maintained filtration equipment, and even unfiltered water supplies. Since water supplies are not regularly tested for Giardia, the contamination was not detected until it was too late and entire communities had been exposed to contaminated drinking water.

SOURCE- http://extension.psu.edu/natural-re...ts/removing-giardia-cysts-from-drinking-water

...Good 'Ol PU :D

You drink raw well water? Maybe a hundred years ago but now... :eek:

Tannin's are sourced from rotting vegetation in some water sources.
Shallow sources, like surface water. We have people tell us they have been told they have tannin in their water all the time by softener salesmen. If they do, they have a 20' deep well or less. Very few of them do.
I would rather drink my well water than anyone's city water.
There are no sediments in municipal water? Why do they have to flush the lines (or should) on a regular basis? Why are toilet tanks full of sediment and mud?
You should ask your water supplier that question. Safe drinking water is anything with less than 500 TDS (total dissolved solids) Nobody said this water has been distilled and you wouldn't want it to be. Lots of the stuff your filtering is good for you. Even the mud!

Shallow sources, like surface water. We have people tell us they have been told they have tannin in their water all the time by softener salesmen. If they do, they have a 20' deep well or less. Very few of them do.

Is that the salesman trying to sell something not needed or as a result of a complete water analysis?

I have heavy tannin and I am on a well in WV.

I would rather drink my well water than anyone's city water.

I would trust neither.

You should ask your water supplier that question. Safe drinking water is anything with less than 500 TDS (total dissolved solids) Nobody said this water has been distilled and you wouldn't want it to be. Lots of the stuff your filtering is good for you. Even the mud!

I imagine they asked in Flint.

Softener salesmen's test equipment consist of a suitcase full of scare tactics. They basically test for hardness. You will find that the large share of them sell softeners only. "Whether you need it or not"

Your fear of drinking water sounds like the other 95% or so of the american public who have been fooled into thinking their water is unsafe.

If you really do have tannin, the test would have taken at least a half hour, it's very hard to test for and is usually mistaken for iron or manganese. There should be none of this in municipal water.

Like I said before, we should just agree to disagree. I can see you have your mind made up and your sticking to it.

I fully agree with Matt. They are pretty much useless. A real whole house filter would be much bigger and designed for a certain purpose. Such as softening or iron removal. If you feel you must have one, the carbon filter is the only one I would recommend for removing a little bit of chlorine. Be advised that bacteria can multiply in a carbon filter, so don't leave it in too long.

If you don't want to deal with it, just remove the cartridge and leave it out.

I don't think I would buy one of these large ones for a small cottage. How big is the house?

Softener salesmen's test equipment consist of a suitcase full of scare tactics. They basically test for hardness. You will find that the large share of them sell softeners only. "Whether you need it or not"

I have no issue with salesman. If the public falls for it, so be it. My concern is from a few years of experience and research.

Your fear of drinking water sounds like the other 95% or so of the american public who have been fooled into thinking their water is unsafe.

I have no fear, only concern.

Remember Perrier? I am beyond dropping a tablet into a canteen and hoping for the best.

If you really do have tannin, the test would have taken at least a half hour, it's very hard to test for and is usually mistaken for iron or manganese. There should be none of this in municipal water.

First of all, I am on a well across the road from an apple orchard that the farmer has no fear of pesticides. Am I concerned, you betcha.

I had a professional water analysis done, no little jars to the county or test strips. I know exactly what is in my water, not day to day of course as the mixtures are subject to change.

Like I said before, we should just agree to disagree. I can see you have your mind made up and your sticking to it.

And vice-versa. But when someone comes here to inquire, they should hear both sides of the argument and go from there.

This thread should be stickied. Whoever inquires would have definitely heard both sides.

Agreed... ;)

It all comes down to this. Water is not as pure as it once was, especially municipal as it picks up contaminants while passing through the distribution system, and only GOD knows how a residence/business is plumbed and with what materials.

Consumers need to self educate themselves and not depend on industry salesmen. Both the product and salesman should be certified.

1.21.1.3b_Ind_Cert_Mark__rc.jpg
logo.png

Proper maintenance is critical especially replacement of filter cartridges. They are usually replaced after so much flow has passed through them. Even back-flush filters have to have the filtering media replaced at some point.

There is no one-fits-all. The water has to be continually monitored, at the least annually.

Of course, all of the above is IMO... :rolleyes:

Your mileage may vary somewhat... :cool:

gotta agree with speedbump on the salesmen subject.

salesmans job is to sell, so he will spin the info to his agenda every time or go home hungry.

send your water to the health department

and get a fair and balanced report with out a spin on it

gotta agree with speedbump on the salesmen subject.

salesmans job is to sell, so he will spin the info to his agenda every time or go home hungry.

send your water to the health department

and get a fair and balanced report with out a spin on it

Who is going to interpret the results of the water testing and advise what filtering equipment you need? The man has to be certified to sale/advise and the filtering equipment has to be NSF certified.

There are reputable companies and not so reputable. That is what the NSF is for.

-National Testing Laboratories-

as a consumer, you get the results from the state agency and do your due diligence to look at the data and read the plane english. that is set forth on the report.
, maybe, if you dont understand. you google some info.
now, you area a consumer entering into a purchasing situation where you are armed with knowledge
as to before you were relying on the knowledge of others

now you are in a position of power, before you were in a position of weakness

i really do not see or understand your insistence that a consumer should only take the word of one person and not arm them selves with knowledge, in order to make an informed decision

have you not advocated in the past for a home owner to get more than 1 bid ?
this is the same thing

Last edited:
i really do not see or understand your insistence that a consumer should only take the word of one person and not arm them selves with knowledge, in order to make an informed decision

have you not advocated in the past for a home owner to get more than 1 bid ?
this is the same thing

I don't remember saying that. What I am trying to get across is the need to seek advice from a knowledgeable certified person/company the same as I would do with any home repair. I, for one, do not have one of those fancy degrees so must seek knowledge from several different sources.

The EPA and the organizations I referred to above will give you most of the information one needs.

It is not a one-fit-all and different people with the same water may desire their water treated for different maladies to fit their needs.

I'm going to disagree with some in this thread. I have a whole house filter under my kitchen sink filtering just that cold water which we use for drinking, cooking, ice etc. With the charcoal filter it does a great job of improving the taste of the water. I did the same at my daughter's house.

I love undersink RO filters too. I'm fine with washing and doing other work with tap water, that's why I don't use a whole house filtration system (besides the fact that they cost too much). There are many different types of home water filters that are affordable, and I just need one for the kitchen sink and one for the shower head. Much cheaper and easier that way.

Well, the technology behind a modern whole house filters are for sure more advanced so far as both purification and maintenance are concerned. Some of these RO whole house filters are now equipped with easy clean, one touch clean and several such features for easy cleanup!

A reverse osmosis system is a specialty filtration system and is considered to be among the most rigorous types in the market today. A reverse osmosis water filter system is particularly useful for individuals who have

Chemical sensitivities
Live with very poor municipal water
Desire ultra-clean water
Interested in the removal of certain hard-to-remove chemicals such as fluoride
Immune systems are compromised and are therefore at risk of infection from waterborne contaminants.

Latest posts

Back