Whole House Water Filter

Discussion in 'Plumbing Products' started by mooli, Jun 8, 2016.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 10, 2018 #41

Matt Peiris

Matt Peiris

Matt Peiris

1. Not a problem. Replace the cartridge with a 5 micron polypropylene sediment filter. Cartridge size would be 2-1/2" x 10".
    2. If sand in water is the issue, all you need is a sediment filter. However, this filter system is too small for effective filtering. I would suggest at least a 4.5" x 20" big blue sediment filter system. A CCMG backwashing system is even better.
    3. Manufacturers speak of the superiority of one over the other, but they seem about the same.

2. Jun 11, 2018 #42

BobMaine

BobMaine

BobMaine

We had the same filter in our house. The filter went from new to "brown" in about three weeks. An unscientific test of the filter would be the get three clear water glasses. In one glass pour bottled water from the grocery store. Next put water down-stream from the filter in glass #2. And in the 3rd put water up-stream from the filter. Hold them up to the light and see if there is any difference in clarity.

But, yes, definitely get the water tested to see what's in it.

If you are on a well and live in radon country this filter MAY remove some of the PARTICULATE radon daughters that are found in some well waters. We had a high reading up-stream of the filter and almost zero downstream from it. Since then we have ramped up our whole house filtering including an RO system.

I used the string type filter element.

3. Jun 11, 2018 #43

Richard Gavle

Richard Gavle

Richard Gavle

Hello all, I installed my own whole house water filter and have no regrets.
    I live in Montgomery County and despite paying huge taxes our aging water supply still seems to suck mud after every serious rainstorm. My filter has a pre-filter and every time the neighbors tell me there last load of whites came out stained, I replace the 5 dollar pre-filter while they replace shirts and such.
    A also have not had to replace a fill valve or faucet cartridge in since installing it.
    My water tastes great IMO compared to tap or bottled, as far as the amount of impurities removed other than the previously mentioned sediments I will leave that up to others to debate.

4. Jun 11, 2018 #44

Matt Peiris

Matt Peiris

Matt Peiris

A pre-filter won't remove any dissolved iron. Your white clothes get red/brown because of iron oxide. Best way to treat is to install a water softener similar to UXC-0948 or a dedicated backwashing katalox light iron filter like KL-0948. It's better to get a water analysis and check the levels of hardness, iron, pH, bacteria....etc before you go invest in a lot of money on these systems.

5. Jun 11, 2018 #45

Richard Gavle

Richard Gavle

Richard Gavle

Matt, I appreciate your reply but I don't think you are understanding the problem, this only happens maybe once or twice a year after heavy rains.....the water in the lines is so full of clay based soil after a heavy rain it flows so brown its visible to the naked eye, so the neighbors who have the misfortune of doing laundry during this period if they do not notice the discoloration when moving their laundry in the dryer it bakes the clay into the garments and is a ***** to get out. WSSC after receiving numerous complaints has "generously" lol offered free treatment packets to remove the baked in clay.....however my next door neighbor told me they were only partially effective at removing the stains. As said this (flowing soil and sediment) caused lots of issues with leaking cartridges and toilet fill valves.

Also the sediment filter is just the pre-filter, which as said catches all kinds of crap. The next two stages (copper/zinc/mineral stone and activated charcoal) are designed to reduce the other non nuisance stuff and as said I am happy with the taste and smell of my water and the reduction in chlorine....I will leave it to others to discuss whether these filters are effective in reducing any health risks....PS I am not skairt to have a glass of water out of the tap when at a restaurant :)

Also I got my filter for free from a friend who bought it and was unable to resolve the leaks on installation. Its an Aquasana which IMHO is an absolute POS....every joint other than one leaked due to improper depth causing inadequate compression of the seals. But I have access to a friends Bridgeport mill so all it cost me was a couple of hours to machine the defective parts.

6. Jun 19, 2018 #46

Matt Peiris

Matt Peiris

Matt Peiris

What's the micron rating of the sediment filter? Try using a filter with smaller holes. I have a 5 micron big blue sediment and it works good with almost no noticeable pressure drop. If these stains are due to mud or any other particulate matter, a sediment filter should definitely catch it.

7. Jun 19, 2018 #47

Richard Gavle

Richard Gavle

Richard Gavle

Wow, I just finally understand what happened. If you look above at my previous post above, you will see where I said "the neighbors tell me". What I was trying to say is that, I do not any longer have an issue with dirty laundry or any other water problems due to the filter effectively removing all the sediment. The only way I even know there has been another sediment issue is from talking with my neighbors, at this point I usually replace the sediment filter not due to a flow issue but simply because they are so cheap I see no reason not to.

All this time I thought you were a "filter hater" saying that my filter could not resolve the issue, but now I see you instead you were just someone trying to help.... Thanks so much for you continued efforts to address the problem you thought I was having :)

PS My filter is also rated at 5 micron.

8. Sep 13, 2018 #48

chrispratt

chrispratt

chrispratt

Do you change your filter?
    I recommend you to change your filter system and use charcoal filters includes reverse osmosis membrane to maintain pH balance so that water doesn’t become too acidic. This water filter system will provide your family with high quality drinking water for many years to come. For this I am using KayPlumbing Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Services. They are, especially for residential plumbing services.They install a water filter system after check the water condition, also provide at very low prices. If You want then you can also visit their work at https://kayplumbing.com/reverse-osmosis-water/