White particles in tap water

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by joni, May 31, 2013.

1. May 31, 2013 #1

joni

joni

joni

Hi Everyone! Hope to get some answers here...Every month I have to remove my faucet screen on tap because water pressure is low. Every time it is due to little white pieces of stuff clogging the screen. I think it is a build up of something in my pipes. Does anyone know what this is and if there is a DIY solution to this or is it time to call a plumber?
    Thanks
    Joni

photo (5).JPG

2. May 31, 2013 #2

chukar

chukar

chukar

Professional Professional

Do you have hard water? Are you on city water or well, also is your home newer piped with plastic pex or older using galvanized piping, easy method look at piping under your sinks and by the water heater.

3. May 31, 2013 #3

joni

joni

joni

It is hard water and I am in the city. I checked and my pipes are copper out of the water heater. There is a part on the pipe that is corroded as well and has what looks like battery acid on the foam that wraps the pipe.

4. May 31, 2013 #4

camaroderrick73

camaroderrick73

camaroderrick73

Could be your dip tube deteoriated from the water heater....

johnjh2o likes this.
  5. May 31, 2013 #5

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

Senior Member Professional

That's what it looks like to me but the problem with dip tubes was solved long ago. I guess there could still be some of the old ones around. Just how old is the water heater?

6. May 31, 2013 #6

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

HERE TO HELP Professional

Place the particles in white vinegar if they dissolve they're hard water particles if they don't dissolve they're dip tube particles.

johnjh2o and stevemachine like this.
  7. May 31, 2013 #7

joni

joni

joni

My GSW water heater's serial number is 9902289926 so what I've learned is a 1999 model. How long should they last?
    Thanks for replying.
    Joni

8. Jun 1, 2013 #8

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

Your water heater is past or at it's life expectancy. Water heaters life expectancy is 8-15 Years depending on where you live , water quality ,usuage ,etc. Your water heater could very well fall under the time we where having the dip tube issues. Most water heaters with dip tibe issues had a cut off time around 1997 but there was some with a cut off time of 1999. Look like it's time to replace.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  9. Jun 2, 2013 #9

joni

joni

joni

Thank you IFIXH20. I put the particles in vinegar and they are not dissolving when I stir it around but they will crush easily into smaller pieces. If it is the dip tube eroding, would the plastic from the dip tube crush that easily?
    Also I found a GE 12yr warranty water heater on sale for $163.00. I think I should just purchase even if my water heater is repairable, I've got a new one for the future and at a really good price.
    What do you think?
    Joni

10. Jun 2, 2013 #10

Caduceus

Caduceus

Caduceus

Just curious joni, where did you find that tank for $163? The gas model typically retails for $550-$600. If you found it online through a third party seller, you will want to be sure that the manufacturer will still honor the warranty, the tank isn't already used and that it's not a bootleg version of the original tank. Just looking out for you. Rheem makes GE tanks. If you can get a model and serial number of the tank before you purchase it, their customer service may be able you verify that it's a good warrantied heater.
    Rheem customer support: 1-866-720-2076 Available between 7AM - 7PM Central Time 7 days a week

havasu likes this.
  11. Jun 3, 2013 #11

joni

joni

joni

Caduceus, Thanks for looking out for me. I phoned Home Depot and it was a GE electric 60 gal 12 year warranty brand new. It was discontinued and marked for quick sale but warranty still good. They were out of stock though and the other Home Depot store 2 hours away had inventory but was $600+ and not discontinued. So...I guess it was too good to be true.
    Thank you!
    Joni

12. Jun 3, 2013 #12

Retroloco-LJ

Retroloco-LJ

Retroloco-LJ

Agree. If it's hard water particles that's some calcification going on! Best to check but either way I wouldn't want either in my personal plumbing. Time to call a pro.

13. Jun 4, 2013 #13

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

IFIXH20

Yes, the dip tube will cruch easily. The sooner you replace your water heater the better off you will be. The particles are getting to all your fixtures that have hot water. I have spent HRS back flushing water lines, flushing and cleaning fixtures and the inner parts.

14. Jun 4, 2013 #14

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

Senior Member Professional

This was also posted by IFIXH2O word for word. Looks like your post was copied and pasted.

stevemachine and IFIXH20 like this.
  15. Jun 5, 2013 #15

bhamiltonjr

bhamiltonjr

bhamiltonjr

Another possibility I have run into before was a homeowner had a 75 gallon gas water heater and had just installed a cullagain water softner and filter and it was the heater descaling on the inside and leaving the same particle chunks. Do they crush at all or stay solid?

16. Jun 5, 2013 #16

joni

joni

joni

The particles crush easily and don't dissolve in vinegar. I purchased a 60 gal water heater and it is going in today! I really appreciate all your advice here folks! I will return with any other plumbing questions for sure!
    Joni

17. Jun 5, 2013 #17

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you can, please take some before and after pictures of the install for us. We like pictures for one, and we can ensure you new water heater was installed correctly.