Whirlpool needs replaced

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbakbradley

Reaction score
My whirlpool Water Heater is 13 years old. It's no longer heating well even with new elements. It also has a slow leak around the drain valve I believe as the insulation is very wet. It's a 50g tank with an FHR of 58.

I'm looking at an AO Smith 50 with 81g FHR. Will I really see the difference between the 81 FHR compared to my current 58 FHR? I'd like all four in he house to be able to shower in the same morning and we can't quite do that now. It's electric by the way.

Also, I've read the AO Smiths at The big box store is a rebranded whirlpool and to stick with an AO smith at a local
Plumbin store. Is this accurate? The only plumbing store I've been able to get a hold of said it would take 3-4 weeks to order a water heater. So, the big box store is much more convenient.

Any one know if AO Smith at Lowes is just a rebranded Whirlpool?

Also, will I really see a big difference moving from
A 50 gallon with 58 FHR was to 50 with 80 FHR?

I have read that aswell. Stay away from the big box stores
Go to a authorized dealer for a o smith to be sure your getting an genuine product

Thanks. They are just so convenient. I called my local plumbing store and they only keep a couple in stock. 3-4 weeks to get it.

I know some people would disagree with this but I've heard good things about Rheem from Home Depot. So if you're in a pinch check them out see how they work out

I have my eye on one of the Rheems at HD as well. I read one forum where a plumber said HD started selling Rheem and upset what it would do for their name. He was cautioning folks from buying a Rheem from HD, stating they were possibly another brand (forget name) in a Rheem box (sort of like what I’m reading about Smith from Lowes but nothing confirmed). I read that same plumber, in another forum, state they’ve had good luck with Rheem. The latter post was a couple years later than the first.

I’d like to support one of my local plumbing companies, but at least where I’m located, they make it inconvenient. I put in a call to another I found online, and they took my name and number for a Salesman to call me back and they never did. They must be doing well and don’t need my business. Lol.

Latest posts

Back