Which toilet flange type would help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyoung

Reaction score
Help this toilet install is like old... its a miracle there is no existing flange almost as if the wax rings (or the excrement) held it.... My problem is determining how to clean that hole and then bolt the toilet

Help this toilet install is like old... its a miracle there is no existing flange almost as if the wax rings (or the excrement) held it.... My problem is determining how to clean that hole and then bolt the toilet
Pictures aren't working.

can you access this from the basement??????if so and you have room cut out the closet bend(toilet pipe)close enough to the stack to get a 4 band coupling on it and repipe it
if its 2nd fl you should try drilling out the lead or breaking the flange out and doing it that way

There are products available that incorporate the flange with an extension and gasket or o-ring that will slip into the existing pipe. You then need to be able to screw that new flange to the existing floor, strong enough to bolt the toilet to so it won't move. Once that is installed, you will only need a single, regular wax ring. Note that the outlet of the toilet is only 2" in diameter, so inserting a new flange extension inside the existing pipe is not a big deal.
I would include an image of one, but Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes and Menards keep popping up first, and I do not want to encourage people to spend their money at those stores. Google "toilet flange repair" and choose "images" to get an idea of the choices, such as metal or PVC flange. Then go to your locally owned hardware store and ask them for one.

Also, unless your in love with that toilet you might want to consider a up-date. When you put it back together
you may have to contend with that old gooseneck leaking. If your going to keep it get a new gasket before putting
back together.

Back