Which small metal parts just cost too much?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal3D_Print

Reaction score
What are the small metal components that pop up in plumbing projects and just cost too much money because of their special design or complexity?

Small fittings, couplings, adapters, nozzles, etc. which are presumably hard to manufacture. What if these could be 3D printed in metal for way less money? Stainless steel or titanium. Would love to hear about some pain points

3D metal printer? Sure, if you can afford the $200-$300k for the machine capable of building the parts.

True, they are expensive, but that isn't an issue for the plumber walking into the supply house and buying the parts.

I'm more looking for specific examples of candidate parts... components that might function better, but aren't used because of price. Or that might be required for use in specific cases, but could be made to function better or at a cost more appropriate to what the function is.

Sharkbite fittings vs. solder for example

I am more concerned that I just paid $2.60 a piece for these small plastic fender pieces for a Toyota pick up.

41mkLsf+xBL.jpg

Most pieces that are 100% metal/brass generally arent priced too bad. Its when you get into stuff like Kitec adapters that are 3 pieces and o-rings/rubbers when price goes through the roof

Back