which island sink vent design meets code?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks voletl, sorry for your frustration.
You are right, any discussion other than your's is shameful crap, I get it.
Thanks again for your kind input.

Hello, looking to revive this thread. I purchased a new home which has a kitchen island and the builder opted for the design#1/AAV way. However:
  1. The sink drain gurgles and spits when draining
  2. The top of the AAV is resting on the bottom of the sink (approximately 1" below the sink drain opening)
  3. The builder said this is to code as the vent only needs to be 6" above the top of the trap
My building code jurisdiction has adopted the The International Plumbing Code (IPC), 2012 edition. Section 916 "Island Fixture Venting" states that "the vent shall rise vertically to above the drainage outlet of the fixture being vented". Based on this, doesn't it mean that the minimum height of the vent must be above whatever the height of the sink drain is, or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Last edited:
Without giving a long drawn out post, the best way to get the correct answer is to call your local plumbing inspector to see if it meets local code with all its local additions and deletions......

I do not think the location of the vent is causing your issue.

libertyc. you are referring to Island Fixture Venting, but an AAV is different.
Island Fixture Venting is sometimes called a loop vent and uses a pair of combos under the floor and has a loop that rises to the high point either under the base cabinet or is hidden in a wall.
The AAV you described having sounds like it is installed correctly min. 6" above the trap.
The AAV might have failed or become stuck. They are spring loaded.

I don’t think AAV vents are spring loaded anymore, I think gravity, air pressure, or a diaphragm does the magic, but I could be wrong.

Only the cheap mechanical vents are spring loaded. AAV’s have a diaphragm that are acted upon by changes in air pressure, they’re not considered mechanical.

That’s what my grandma told me, wether it’s true or not, I don’t know.

@Twowaxhack , thanks for the suggestion. I had considered doing this but figured that local code enforcement may be stretched too thin to address questions from the general public. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.

@breplum and @Twowaxhack , what about the section of the code that I've cited. Is this not significant? Or maybe AAVs have separate rules?

Thanks for your input.

That part of the code may only apply to loop vents. I’d have to read the entire section and the section about AAV’s.

And then ask your local inspector if they’ve added or deleted any codes to be sure.....

Back