Which brand circulator pump - Hot Water heating system

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Riickk

Reaction score
Taco circulator pump (age 18) on my hot-water heating system was not working earlier today, then it decided to start spinning again. But my take is, it's just a matter of time until it goes out again, most likely on a snowy -17 day. Time to replace it.

Any opinions on what brand to replace it with. Another Taco, B&G, Grundflos, or what ?? BTW, not a fan of plastic impellers on water pumps.

Riickk

Reaction score
Learned about cartridge yesterday, but looks like cartridge cost is about the same as the whole pump. Might as well buy new pump, swap in new cartridge to old pump body.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I like the Grundfos recirc pump kit sold at Home Depot. I paid $199. I just looked and the "post-covid" pricing has climbed to $351. Yikes!

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I’ve installed a few of those Armstrong 3 speed circulators and they’ve worked well.

Easy to match the rate of flow to what your particular system needs.

Riickk

Reaction score
Very oddball system, c.1960. Boiler's hot water is pumped to what amounts to a car heater core, there, heat is transferred to FWA system/ductwork.

TomFOhio

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I would replace it with another taco pump. You got 18 years out of the old one. Their good pumps