where to install emergency well shutoff auto valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MillerTime

Reaction score
Question:

Per the diagram below, I was throwing around the idea of installing a mechanically actuating safety shutoff (that installs on a ball valve) that has an external water sensor that will shut off the ball valve when triggered.

The pressure switch has a low pressure shutoff, (around 20PSI) that would shut off the well pump should this ball valve be closed in the event of a leak. and should I install a check valve before the "emergency shutoff" ball valve???

My thought is that this sensor when detecting water on the floor around my well equipment in the basement, would trigger and close the actuating arm on the ball valve, cutting off the water to the house before the pressure tank and pressure switch, and when the pressure falls below the 20PSI mark, the low pressure safety feature on the pressure switch would shut off the submerged well pump***

OR -should I just place the safety shutoff ball valve on the downstream side of the pressure tank and pressure switch?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

My scribbled diagram:
[IMG]

I don't think you want to install a valve like that in between the well and the pressure tank, the pressure control switch is usually right by the tank. If the valve were shut and the pump continued to run it might burst the incoming water line. a good submersible can develop very high pressure. Your diagram doesn't show up on my computer.

here it is - i uploaded it a different way*

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_145022237.jpg
    IMG_20210203_145022237.jpg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 4
the thought is, if any of my well equipment in the basement springs a leak, the water sensor would trigger the actuator and close the ball valve before the pressure tank and all other equipment. the loss of pressure at the pressure switch would kill the power to the pump then? - has anyone had any experience trying this setup? - thought it would more effectively protect from a leak.... than placing the sensor shutoff past the tank/pressure switch.

optionally would it be better---, if I place a pressure relief valve before the check valve, and before the proposed ball shutoff valve, to be a safeguard if in the even of a leak the ball valve closed, and the low pressure feature on the pressure switch failed?

I think you are overcomplicating a simple water system! Just having your water sensor connected to the pressure control switch to shut the pump off should be safe enough. Also I don't think it's recommended to have any extra check valves in the line form the well, the one in the pump should be sufficient. In my 50 years of having private water systems I have never had a leak in the house.

Thanks for the insight. I do appreciate it!

simply put - would a relay controlled power switch in-line with the power feeding the pressure switch, and a water sensor connected to trip the relay be a simple adequate leak protection?

Leak occurs
water leak sensor senses moisture
triggers relay
relay triggers switch
kills power to the pressure switch,
-shutting of pump*

It sounds like it would work, but I'm not familiar with the actual components. It should be easy to test once it's installed. We do shut off the power to our pumps, as we spend a couple days a week at a cabin a 100 miles from home. Whenever we are gone overnight they're off.

there was a guy selling a kit like what you want, I saw it a a trade show.
he installed a solenoid valve right at the entrance to the house and then had sensors in the basement . Once water is detected at the sensors Bang the valves shuts. I do not remember his name or company .

there was a guy selling a kit like what you want, I saw it a a trade show.
he installed a solenoid valve right at the entrance to the house and then had sensors in the basement . Once water is detected at the sensors Bang the valves shuts. I do not remember his name or company .

You have to be careful installing a valve between the pump and the pressure control switch, if it shuts and the pump continues to run it could burst a pipe or burn the pump out

I use the Samsung Smart Hub, Aeotec Heavy Duty switch. and Samsung leak detectors through out the house. You can have it close a ball valve if you are on city water, but I just have it turn the pump off using the Aeotec switch.

Back