Where to find the right downspout adapter?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

followtruth

Reaction score
Hi!
Thanks for your help in advance. I have a downspout extension near a basketball court I made out of Schedule 40 3" PVC. The basketball tended to crush/destroy everything else. I have attached a picture. I used these items from my local Menards hardware store.
2x3 B elbow 1584041
2x3x3 Downspout adapter 6894591
3" coupling sch 40 6897580
3x10 cell core PVC pipe 6899956

Basically, the order is correct above. The elbow fits inside the rectangular side of the Downspout adapter. The circular side of the Downspout adapter fits inside the coupling, and the pipe fits inside the other side of the coupline.

I wanted to do more extensions the same way, but my hardware store no longer carried the same SKU number of coupling. I can't go into the store due to COVID-19, so I found another that looked the same and special ordered it, sight unseen.
I ordered this item
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...-adapter-sewer-drain/9p03/p-1444448957003.htm

It is all wrong. The outside diameter of the circular side of the adapter is 3 5/8, and it needs to be 3.5" to fit. The rectangular inside dimensions of the adapter are 2 5/8 by 3 5/8, and they should be 2 1/4" by 3"

I found a spec sheet including the adapter (9P03) here https://www.ndspro.com/PDFs/Tech-Sp...t-Adapter-9P03-9P04-9P06-9P10-903-904-906.pdf

This spec sheet says it does not fit schedule 40 pipe.
My questions are, could someone give me a link to an adapter that would work for me? Also, what kind of downspout would this fit? I thought 2x3 aluminum downspouts were standard?

Thanks and God Bless!

Attachments

• downspout extension.jpg
    downspout extension.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
Home Depot/Lowe’s sells down spout adapters I bought some thin wall pvc not sure of the schedule has a bell end on one end so you just push it together a plumbing supply house might have that schedule 40 adapter but that’s a guess

You are correct that 2 x 3 downspouts are standard-ish. However, the adapters are designed for the NDS light weight pipes (Sewer and Drain), not standard plumbing drain pipes (Schedule 40 either ABS or PVC.
Plumbing supply house is where us plumbers find "thinwall" to standard adapters.
It can be very confusing because rainwater/NDS parts use what they call "Sewer and Drain" pipe and fittings that are not the same as what plumbers drain pipes are (which is Sch. 40).

Go to your local supply house and see if the have a sch40 to thin wall adapter.

I also think that going to a local store is a great solution. This way you can save a lot of time and possibly money. Now it is really difficult to find the various necessary materials, as many stores are still closed, so most of the goods are not available. I recently had a problem with my garden watering system. Since it is very hot now, the plants need to be watered very often. I couldn't buy anything in local stores, so I had to order from the internet. I was advised to use ANIX Valve USA - Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel / Cast Steel Valve as they have a wide variety of products. Try to search them, maybe you will find what you need. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back