When to change hoses...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbMark

Reaction score
This is about washing machine hoses.

Is there a general rule about when to change washing machine hot water supply line hoses and drain hoses?

Is it a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
Or is there a time period when a change is recommended?

Thanks!

I change mine when I see signs of corrosion on the fittings. That’s about it

OK thanks.
Here's the story.
Bought new washer and dishwasher and ordered installation of both.

Washer was installed but I was told to buy new hot and cold supply lines before they came. Did so.

Dishwasher install guy called and when he learned my old machine was 20 years old he said I'd need to get a plumber in first to get things compatible with the new machine.

I've made an appointment for Tuesday with a plumber and want to know what to expect.
The plumbing dept. of the same store (Home Depot) where I bought the machines said they shouldn't have any issues mating my existing hoses (left me scratching my head as to why I needed to call a plumber).

So I was wondering if that is what to expect or will they replace the hoses entirely?

There is no corrosion on the fittings.

I replace all my steel braided lines every 6-8 years. Since this house is only 3 years old to us, I have no idea how long they've been in place, so I just changed out all lines. I also didn't like the looks of the valves leading to the toilets, so I replaced all 3 valves with new 1/4 turn compression valves.

OK thanks.

Dishwasher install guy called and when he learned my old machine was 20 years old he said I'd need to get a plumber in first to get things compatible with the new machine.

I Chuckled at this post, washer's 20 years ago hook up just like washers do today
a hot and cold hose and a drain.
Your home depot just screwed you. and on top of that, they told you to reuse the 20 year old hoses
my advice would have been to replace the old hoses, even thou they were still good, simply for piece of mind

I've made an appointment for Tuesday with a plumber and want to know what to expect.
The plumbing dept. of the same store (Home Depot) where I bought the machines said they shouldn't have any issues mating my existing hoses (le.

He is referring to a dishwasher, I believe. Yes, the connections have changed, and it is up to you to get a few adapters, and while I am at it, I would replace that old hot water line.

Regarding your question, "So I was wondering if that is what to expect or will they replace the hoses entirely?" I would just ask the store.
If you were able to get the hose(s) and learn which end must connect to your existing plumbing you should be able to determine if it would connect to what you have and if not what adapter it would take to make it compatible.
If need be, discuss it further with the store and tell them your problem. They should be able to make it work for you one way or another.

EDIT: don't forget to check on the drain hose as well as the water hose.

nothing has changed

you still need a
How can they be made compatible if the new unit isnt there. I am a plumber, granted i only do large work now but i have hooked up a few dishwashers in my day.

what do you do on a commercial job to get the correct connections for equipment?
You open up your submital book, and look at the cut sheet.

Same thing with the dishwasher that you bought.
either ask the seller to provide a cut sheet
or
goggle the make and model and look at the cut sheet online

personally, I have never seen a domestic dishwasher that did not hook up with a 3/8'' water line and a 5/8''ID
Radiator hose. the water hook up is going to be, threaded,

Thanks for your replies guys.
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my second post.

Home Depot (H.D.) delivered two machines last week:
1. Clothes washer
2. Dish Washer

They installed the clothes washer.
Today a plumber came (not associated with H.D.) to install the dish washer.

Before he started I asked him what exactly he was going to do with the hoses.
It seemed he was going to use existing and just use adapters to connect to machine.

During the installation he cursed more than a few times to himself and his partner.
In the end he used half of the existing drain hose (connecting the hose coming from the dish washer to it).

And I think he put at least one new hot water (hw) hose in.
Before the installation there were two h.w. hoses connected together.
Now I see the same thing (but I saw his co-worker bring in at least one h.w. hose).

Parts listed for the installation:

1 - d/w supply
1 - d/w coupling
1 - d/w drain coupling

My NEW question.
When he was finishing the install I noticed a black rubber piece sticking out on the right side, going from top to bottom of machine.
I asked him about it. His reply was that it was supposed to be there.
He said I could stick it inside if I wanted to.

I called Samsung and they said it wasn't supposed to be showing.
What should I do?

1. Cut it and risk damaging machine?
2. Try to shove it in and risk damaging machine?
3. Call the plumber and ask them to come back to fix it?

It sticks out on the left side too.
There is a cupboard door on the left side, and the rubber is stopping the door
from closing all the way.

Thanks!

p.s. I don't think they even pushed in the machine all the way, as there is a 1/2" gap between front of machine and inside parts that look like they should be hidden.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it is part of the soundproofing, but a pic should let us know what it actually is.

OK here are some pics.
Yes I went back to the HD store and looked at many machines and they all had it.
Soundproofing. NOT to be cut!

Can you believe this?
The gap at the top seems a bit big too? 3/4".
Can't the height be adjusted?
IMG_20181009_173105.jpg

IMG_20181009_173049.jpg

IMG_20181009_172054.jpg

IMG_20181009_172042.jpg

Left side. Rubber is stopping cupboard door from closing all the way...
IMG_20181009_172157.jpg

IMG_20181009_173049.jpg

Yeah, horrible install. Take the screw out from top of the unit, push it back about an inch, adjust all 4 legs up a bit, and add a new screw at the top. It is a 5 minute job, and the soundproofing will be buried properly.

Thanks havasu that's exactly what I thought.
I realize that it is a 5 minute job to fix, but I'd rather the guy come back and do it now that
I have confirmed it wasn't installed correctly.

First it's his job, second, I don't want to get involved and be faulted for doing something wrong.
There's also another small problem.

The two plates at the top with the screws holding the machine in have three hole positions for the screws.
It is now in the last hole (3rd) and when the machine will be pushed in another inch there will be no more holes to attach the plate to! (that could be the reason he left the machine sticking out)

So I'm sure two new longer plates will be needed.

You could always hot glue a piece of plywood under the counter (or epoxy) and screw to it.

Thanks havasu, I was thinking along the same lines myself.
One more question about the rubber insulation strips on the sides.
There are two layers (pieces) on each side. Should they be pushed in so they open to the inside, or should they open to the outside?
I know they shouldn't be visible when the machine is properly pushed in.

I checked the dimensions of the machine and cabinet and I have 3/4" play.
So the machine needs to go back 1/2".

One more question about the rubber insulation strips on the sides.
There are two layers (pieces) on each side. Should they be pushed in so they open to the inside, or should they open to the outside?
I know they shouldn't be visible when the machine is properly pushed in.

It is insulation for soundproofing. You want the rubber to expand as much as possible to fill the front cavity of your box.

By the way, I agree with Frodo. This guy needs to be dragged into the woods behind your house and have his butt kicked.

Thanks frodo and havasu.
I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place now.

On the one hand I would like to take your advice about not letting the guy back in my house.
On the other hand, calling someone new would cost about as much as I have already paid him.

I'm sure I could fix it myself now, but don't think I should have to do it. It's not my job/field.

To show you how clueless these guys were...
The one guy who was doing the actual work (who was cursing) asked me where the electric panel was, only after he had taken out the first machine and likely got a shock while he was working.

The second guy who was watching him push the new machine in place didn't say anything about the electric cord getting stuck on the side of the machine!
I had to mention it before he went over to move it aside!

Back