When shower is on I am getting a small steady stream of water from tub spout.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeto

Reaction score
When shower is on I am getting a small steady stream of water from tub spout. What part of the diverter valve needs to be repaired to prevent this from happening?

Thank you in advance for any help,
yeto

Getting some water from tub spout during a shower is usually very normal, most diverters are not 100 percent.

Getting some water from tub spout during a shower is usually very normal, most diverters are not 100 percent.

This one is 100%. I have the same setup in a different bathroom and no water flows from tub spout when shower is running. Could you provide some guidance as to the path water would have to flow to get to the tub spout when the diverter is in the shower position? There must be some seal/o-ring that water is getting by to get to the spout.

Thank you for taking time to help,
yeto

I agree it is probably just a shrunken or nicked o ring.

Take the stem to a plumbing supply house, they should be able to size and replace the o rings.
Or find you a replacement stem.

Clean out any minerals and crud inside the brass valve in the wall, rinse with plain water.
Put a thin layer of plumbers’ silicone grease on the new o rings, and a little on the threaded brass areas also.

You could change the washer on the back of the stem best way as tomfohio mentioned is get the brand name and get a new one DONT buy
From big box store go to a plumbing supply house with the part and picture of the shower valve .that way they know what they are looking at

Latest posts

Back