When is floor sink required?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbeFroman

Reaction score
I believe floor sinks are required in restaurants and hospitals so that the backflow doesn't come up and contaminate those sinks but can anyone specifically let me know when floor sinks are required in terms of building code? If I could get confirmation that it is required for hospitals and restaurants too, that would be great. Thanks

There is ( to my knowledge ) no Requirement for a floor sink and it has nothing to do with Hydraulic surge or backflow... you may be thinking a back water valve, which IS required when fixtures are below grade, usually installed on the branch ( normally closed ) or on the main line ( normally open then ).

A floor sink would be suited for any janitorial closet, but a washdown sink could also be used... basically they want to make sure they can fill a mop bucket.

then you are talking about a mop sink, as I am understanding they are the same, or fairly similar.

do explain.

I am now thinking you may be referring to a floor drain or perhaps ( as you mentioned a hospital in original post ) a rehab Toilet, which is basically a trough.

for sanitary perposes a resturaunt must have a lav with hot and cold water and a soap dispenser, as must any doctor office ( like a family doc ) and these are usually required to have handles that can be operated by foot valve or with eccentric handles so the user can close the hot/cold taps with the backs of their hands.

IMO all door handles and door plates in these places should also be required to be made of brass as brass is anti microbilal, like silver.

My understanding of floor sinks, though I don't have personal experience with these installations, is that they are normally used as receptors for indirect waste lines. They are a sink with a rim that is flush with the floor, and are usually set before the concrete floor is poured. There are a variety of options for indirect waste receptors, but once again, my knowledge of these is mainly academic, with very little practical experience.

you are correct phish, though the ones i've installed are roughed in before concrete and the sink itself is installed after. they often use em in commercial bay janitor rooms and they often have the bays HWT releif valve piped to them indirectlly.

I believe floor sinks are required in restaurants and hospitals so that the backflow doesn't come up and contaminate those sinks but can anyone specifically let me know when floor sinks are required in terms of building code? If I could get confirmation that it is required for hospitals and restaurants too, that would be great. Thanks

To clarify things, I believe it is not the floor sink fixture that is the focus of the question. It is where and when an air gap or an air break are required for indirect wastes. Whether it is a floor drain, floor sink, mop sink or trapped hopper is a matter of preference. If a local building code requires a specific fixture for a specific use, then it may be best to check with them.
So, the question is: When are indirect wastes required in restaurants and hospitals?
There is a long list and codes change over time and in different regions.
I typically install them on ice machines, soda fountains, condensation lines/pans, beer tap troughs, commercial dishwashers, soda gun dispensers, clothes washer discharge, bed pan steamers,egg boilers, food display cases,hood washers, ice cream dispensers, glass fillers at waitress stations, potato peelers, steam kettles, coffee urns, steam tables...to name a few.
A specific floor drain requirement for hospitals would be any room containing the recessed or concealed portions of sterilizers.
There difference between an air gap and an air break must be noted.
An air gap discharges into the receptacle without penetrating below the rim, usually a minimum of 1 1/2", to prevent contamination of the indirect waste line.
An air break will penetrate below the rim of the receptacle.

but can anyone specifically let me know when floor sinks are required in terms of building code? Thanks

As phishfood stated, floor sinks are used as receptors for indirect waste. They receive drainage from sinks, condensates, temperature relief valves, food prep sinks, etc.

The Uniform plumbing code explains when and where floor sinks are required in the indirect wastes chapter 8 pretty good.

As for actual building codes, I'm not too sure what the Building Codes actually say about floor sinks. Normally plumbing codes dictate these kinds of things.

:D

You need floor sinks per code (Health Department and FEWD) in restaurants and hospitals. The reason is to avoid backflow going all the way to your prep countertops and contaminate them. You need them for sinks, refrigerators, display fridges, etc, and normally they will drain to your grease trap or grease interceptor.
MOP sink, is not the same as a floor sink, a mop sink is for janitor rooms and the primary use is to clean cleaning floor tools.

I believe floor sinks are required in restaurants and hospitals so that the backflow doesn't come up and contaminate those sinks.

You are right. ASME A112.6.7.

Back