What Wrong With the Toilet Fill Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

Reaction score
My American Standard Champion Pro 4 which is less that 8 months old is making noise every 5 minutes and bubbles are coming from the bottom of the Toilet fill valve. Please see video and listen to the sound. How can I fix this
View attachment Toilet Flushing.mp4
problem. Thank you in advanced

It is refilling, likely because the flush tower seal is leaking, so when the water level in the tank drops, the ballcock is just doing its job and refilling.
likely, you can watch a video showing how the seal is replaced. It is easy as long as you can shut off the water supply.
You are likrly losing a lot of water so get this done soon.

Take a picture of the insides of the tank. Show the whole tank insides.

Looks like your flapper valve is leaking and you're losing water into the bowl. First step is to clean it -- lift flapper and wipe the flapper and the ring it sits in. Check the chain that lifts the flapper -- is it taut? Should be loose so the flapper is held down by water pressure.

Or, you are overflowing at the top of the tower. Water level should be below the top edge. If not, adjust float using the screw.

Make sure the end of the black hose is above the water level in the tank.

Failure to do so will result in the exact trouble you’re having. There of course could be other causes.

Below is a picture of the inside of the tank. the bubbles and noise are coming from the fill valve as shown on the left in the tank namely where the red gasket/seal is shown at the bottom of the tank. I read online that there could be air inside. I wonder if I should buy a fill valve kit and replace this one. Thanks.

Attachments

• Toilet inside American Standard Chamption Pro 4.jpg
    Toilet inside American Standard Chamption Pro 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
It is coming from the fill valve because the water in the tank is leaking into the bowl possibly. Put some food coloring in the tank and see if it ends up in the bowl overnight. Dont flush toilet during the test. You could also shut the water supply off and see if the water level in the tank drops

Below is a picture of the inside of the tank. the bubbles and noise are coming from the fill valve as shown on the left in the tank namely where the red gasket/seal is shown at the bottom of the tank. I read online that there could be air inside. I wonder if I should buy a fill valve kit and replace this one. Thanks.

Replace the seal under the green canister thing or whatever the clowns at American standard call it.

Champion 4 pro.......what happened to the first 3 champions. Let me tell you.......they all were crap. Same type issues as you’re having.

The ballcock that’s making the noise and bubbling is doing it’s job.

Those seals are prone to developing air bubbles in the silicone. Replace like twowax said and your problem is solved.

The A. S. Champion toilets are the center of a long term lawsuit over how bad they are. They've had known problems for years. We will replace the ring but write 'no warranty' all over the ticket.
I usually call the customer and recommend they put the money towards a new CADET PRO or TOTO 'DRAKE'.

Looks like your flapper valve is leaking and you're losing water into the bowl. First step is to clean it -- lift flapper and wipe the flapper and the ring it sits in. Check the chain that lifts the flapper -- is it taut? Should be loose so the flapper is held down by water pressure.

Or, you are overflowing at the top of the tower. Water level should be below the top edge. If not, adjust float using the screw.

the water level is fine inside the tank and so is the green flapper. If you think I need to change the seal/gasket underneath the green flapper, it looks like I will have to take the tank completly off the toilet to remove and replace the seal. My tank does not have where you can just unscrew the chain on top of the flapper and then replace the seal underneath whereas other champion toilets have a black piece that you can unscrew and the chain is connected to as shown below. My current toliet flapper is shown at the top and looks different from this below.

Attachments

• american standard champion.jpg
    american standard champion.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
the water level is fine inside the tank and so is the green flapper. If you think I need to change the seal/gasket underneath the green flapper, it looks like I will have to take the tank completly off the toilet to remove and replace the seal. My tank does not have where you can just unscrew the chain on top of the flapper and then replace the seal underneath whereas other champion toilets have a black piece that you can unscrew and the chain is connected to as shown below. My current toliet flapper is shown at the top and looks different from this below.

You do not have to remove the tank to just replace the seal under the green canister.

Here is American Standards attempt at the instructions to replace that seal below.

http://pdf.lowes.com/productdocumen...FaRVltcm55d1N6XzR6M2ZBaW5fNGFBbVB6RUFMd193Y0I.

It’s the exact same flush valve and flapper in both pictures and the video…..

Wow, the flapper on AS Cadet3 comes out easily to replace the blistering seal. I was debating between AS Champion and Cadet3 years ago and never would have thought it would look so difficult for the Champion.

Latest posts

Back