What would you have in your essential plumbers toolkit for hybrid water heater replacements?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwell

Reaction score
We're looking to put together a standard plumbing toolkit that would work for most hybrid hot water heater installations. We'd love some feedback on anything that's missing or unnecessary from the list we've compiled below. Based on your experience are there any other tools that are a must have?
  • Milwaukee Pack Out
  • Copper:
    • Milwaukee Pro Press with 3/4 jaw
    • Pipe reamer (cleans out burrs, avoid spiral affect/turbulence within the pipe)
    • Tubing cutters
    • 5-10’ of piping
    • Various fittings
  • PVC:
    • Tubing cutters
    • PVC solvent (all material or glue/primer mix)
    • PVC primer
    • 5-10’ of piping
    • Various fittings
  • Expansion Tank:
    • Pressurizing pump (compressed air or bicycle pump)
    • Pressure gauge (need to be set to 5-10 lb above home’s incoming pressure)
  • Ducting:
    • Tin snips
    • Crimpers
  • Miscellaneous Tools & Accessories:
    • Teflon tape
    • Pipe dope
    • Blue Monster (teflon/pipe dope all in one)
    • Pliers
    • Offset wrenches (channel locks)
    • Pipe wrenches (monkey wrench)
    • Drill w/ ¼” driver and ⅜” driver (earthquake straps)
    • Hole saw kit (or paddle bit)
    • Box cutter/razor knife
    • Stud finder
    • Drop cloths
    • Shoe coverings
    • Water heater hand truck (keg dolly)
    • Safety glasses
    • Knee pads
    • Gloves
    • Shop towel or rubber mat for tools
    • Step stool

Any plumber is going to have what he needs to install a heater
and is not going to need a ''KIT"
If you do not know what you need going in, Then IN MY OPINION
you are not qualified to do the job
Thanks for the response frodo. Kit was probably the wrong reference. What would someone new to the field need to have in their van if they were focusing specifically on hybrid water heaters as opposed to the entire field of plumbing?

My Post is a rather in your face post. But it is how I feel
If you do not know what it takes to tool up to set a water heater then in my opinion
You do not have the experience to be out on your own installing them
And you need to concentrate on learning your craft BEFORE you venture out to install a piece of equipment that has safety devices and has state and local codes
Know what you need for tools and supplies comes with experience GO GET SOME,

Here is a question for you
are you licensed?

My Post is a rather in your face post. But it is how I feel
If you do not know what it takes to tool up to set a water heater then in my opinion
You do not have the experience to be out on your own installing them
And you need to concentrate on learning your craft BEFORE you venture out to install a piece of equipment that has safety devices and has state and local codes
Know what you need for tools and supplies comes with experience GO GET SOME,

Here is a question for you
are you licensed?
Thanks Frodo for sharing your perspective on the question and I totally agree that experience is really really important. I am sure you'd also agree not all experience is equal though. There are plumbers with years of experience that none of us would want on the job and there are new plumbers with very little experience, but the right attitude and raw skills that we'd be happy to have show up at one of our client's homes. I am not a licensed plumber, but I think I am pretty good listener and am appreciative of everyone contributions to my learning. That's one of the reasons that I love sponsoring this forum is that I know I have a TON to learn and am thankful that so many of you have been willing to share your experiences with me. I will say that I am an entrepreneur that cares about creating opportunities for people to do work they are proud of and provide for their families.

I do believe I get where you are coming from and am not advocating that we put people out in the field that don't have the essential experience, licensing and support they need to do the highest quality work. This exercise for us is part of a larger research effort and part financial modeling to get an inventory of the proper tools needed for any licensed plumber we'd need to put out in the field.

Thanks.

A licensed plumber will have his own hand tools
the only thing an employer should provide is power tools,cords, ladders.
as far as inventory is concerned each plumber has his own ''style'' so he should stock his truck with what he uses
by ''style'' I mean I do not use teflon tape I use pipe dope. I use C-Flux not Oatey
ETC ETC .

Washington UPC , Code

104.1 Permits Required

It shall be unlawful for a person, firm, or corporation to make an installation, alteration, repair, replacement, or remodel a plumbing system regulated by this code except as permitted in Section 104.2, or to cause the same to be done without first obtaining a separate plumbing permit for each separate building or structure.

104.2 Exempt Work

A permit shall not be required for the following:
  1. The stopping of leaks in drains, soil, waste, or vent pipe, provided, however, that a trap, drainpipe, soil, waste, or vent pipe become defective, and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, the same shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be procured and inspection made as provided in this code.
  2. The clearing of stoppages, including the removal and reinstallation of water closets, or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes, or fixtures.
Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for work to be done in violation of the provisions of the code or other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

All that Mumbo Jumbo above says that In the state Of Washington, You have to pull a permit to replace a Water heater. OK NO BIG DEAL
In order to pull a permit you have to have a MASTER Plumber license
A Journeyman MAY install the plumbing under the direction of the master

SO, More Mumbo jumbo that means if you do not have a masters you can not pull a permit and if you do not have a journeyman you can not install
if the inspector shows up and asks the plumber to see his license and he does not have one
the job will be red tagged, and the system can not be used till the red tag is removed

Latest posts

Back