What type of Washers to Use Between Toilet and Water Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tb1

Reaction score
Hi,

Basement toilet was leaking between the toilet tank and toilet. I replaced the rubber washers on the two bolts between the toilet and porcelain water tank on the back of the toilet. Not sure sure how tight to make the connection between the tank/toilet. Snugged the connection then tightened by another half turn or so,
How tight should the connection be w/ rubber washers? Is there a different washer material than rubber?
Maybe nylon or something?

Are you sure the leak was coming from those two bolts?

It could also be the large "donut" thick washer between the tank and bowl.
Hi,

Basement toilet was leaking between the toilet tank and toilet. I replaced the rubber washers on the two bolts between the toilet and porcelain water tank on the back of the toilet. Not sure sure how tight to make the connection between the tank/toilet. Snugged the connection then tightened by another half turn or so,
How tight should the connection be w/ rubber washers? Is there a different washer material than rubber?
Maybe nylon or something?

Thanks for the suggestion however I believe I fixed the leak by replacing the washers.

Will check again after typing this message.

Great call on your part!

I fellt under the water tank and it was dry. I flushed the toilet and felt a little bit of water around the left bolt. I felt around the inside of the water tank and noticed the large round washer for the for the tank drain was crumbling. Going to replace that washer and the large donut washer between the tank and toilet.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Do I use any lubricate or sealant when replacing the large tank drain washer and the "donut" washer?
Should I have used a sealant or lubricant when replacing the tank bolt washers?

Do I use any lubricate or sealant when replacing the large tank drain washer and the "donut" washer?
Should I have used a sealant or lubricant when replacing the tank bolt washers?
NO
Just snug down the bolts but you can break a tank of the flange if you tighten them to much.
I've only popped one flange in 30+ years. gaskets can vary. so make sure you get the right one. a lot are typical in size but some require a specific gasket.

NO
Just snug down the bolts but you can break a tank of the flange if you tighten them to much.
I've only popped one flange in 30+ years. gaskets can vary. so make sure you get the right one. a lot are typical in size but some require a specific gasket.

Thanks. It appears I tightened them ok. Thanks for the tip re: overtightening the Now I need to replaced the "donut" gasket between the tank and toilet also need to replace the large washer/gasket that is part of the drain pipe inside the tank.

Thanks for the suggestion however I believe I fixed the leak by replacing the washers.

Will check again after typing this message.

Great call on your part!

I fellt under the water tank and it was dry. I flushed the toilet and felt a little bit of water around the left bolt. I felt around the inside of the water tank and noticed the large round washer for the for the tank drain was crumbling. Going to replace that washer and the large donut washer between the tank and toilet.

Thanks again!
Just a quick follow up... if it leaks all of the time it is likely the two tank to bowl bolts being worn out or not tight enough.

If, instead, it only leaks when you flush the toilet, it is the donut gasket between the tank and bowl. There is no water going through the flush valve until you flush the toilet.

It was leaking when the tank was full and when flushed. If the tank was not completely full it would leak when the toilet was flushed.

OK. I'll replace the donut gasket and the gasket that is crumbling around the drain inside the tank.

Last edited:
It was leaking when the tank was full and when flushed. If the tank was not completely full it would leak when the toilet was flushed.

OK. I'll replace the donut gasket and the gasket that is crumbling around the drain inside the tank.
Then you need a Flush Valve. Costs about $10 at the orange or blue big box stores.

Grab a new donut washer while you are there.

Back