What type of septic system do I have

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redsalem

Reaction score
I moved into our home a couple of years ago and it has a septic system. There was no info left about it and I don't have a buolder to contact. I've been inside the tanks to clean the filter but it is pumping too much water onto the septic field. I think I've begun to isolate the problem but will need to know what kind of system I have in order to find scematics online.

The system I have has four tanks, the last tank has two jets that spray the effluent onto two big containers of filters. My understanding is that the filters are suppose to keep the effluent in the tanks (for the most part) but when the jets are running for more then a few seconds, effluent begins to pour straight down from one of the pipes. There is a valve beside where the water is coming, not sure if it's an overflow or why the effluent is coming out somfast, but I would like to ponpoint it soon so that I can resolve it. Thanks for the help.

So, it sounds like you have some sort of mechanical system.
I would strongly advise against climbing in to the septic tanks (if that is what you were saying you did) because the gases that rise up can kill you. Messing with the inside of a septic tank is something best left to the professionals.

Speaking of professionals, in order for that system to have been legally installed and for you to have been able to buy the house, the owners would have needed permits for the construction of the system. Contact your local Department of Health / Sanitation (whatever it is called in your area) and ask for information on the permits pulled for that septic system. They should have it in their records and it should state what type of system it is and when it was put in.

Any alternative, or for that matter, any septic system should not be a DIY project at all. It is a health violation at best.

Back