What Tool To Use to Remove A Round Part

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to remove the cold water washer retainer on a Symmons Temptrol tub/shower spindle. Its diameter is about 1 inch. Is there a special wrench that will grip but not crush and distort the retainer. In the past I've used a curved vise grip that can be set to put enough pressure on the part to hold it but not crush and distort it. Is there a better tool out there?

are you talki g about the stainless ring around the big washer
just grab it with pliers (gently) and use the shower valve
handle for your leverage maybe put a rug against the ring
I have remove a lot of those are you gonna change the seats
they require a special wrench sometimes the cold seat rounds
out so you will need an easy out still very easy in my experience
Symmons is the best/easiest shower valve to work on
how do you heat your hot water?????? There are diffrent stems
for tankless /or regular water heater

the tool for the seats is called a (raven tool) you take the cold
seat out first

I usually put some heat grease on those threads on that stainless ring
if you haven't I stalled it yet...

Last edited:
are you talki g about the stainless ring around the big washer
just grab it with pliers (gently) and use the shower valve
handle for your leverage maybe put a rug against the ring
I have remove a lot of those are you gonna change the seats
they require a special wrench sometimes the cold seat rounds
out so you will need an easy out still very easy in my experience
Symmons is the best/easiest shower valve to work on
how do you heat your hot water?????? There are diffrent stems
for tankless /or regular water heater

Yes the big, cold water washer. I tried vise grips....not cranked down so as not to distort the ring....just enough pressure to grip the washer. I also tried Channel Locks. I used the shower valve handle for leverage....I thought it would break. But apparently my hand strength ain't what it used to be. I eventually got it unscrewed, but it was not easy. I've played with removing the hot and cold seats and have been afraid of rounding them out. I probably need more practice and experience in order to know how much pressure is too much.

I had to repair a clothes washer and watched a video. The guy doing the repair used what looked to be some kind of pliers to grip the hot and cold water fittings to unscrew them. I couldn't tell what the tool was but curved vise grips do the trick.

Last edited:
I had to remove the cold water washer retainer on a Symmons Temptrol tub/shower spindle. Its diameter is about 1 inch. Is there a special wrench that will grip but not crush and distort the retainer. In the past I've used a curved vise grip that can be set to put enough pressure on the part to hold it but not crush and distort it. Is there a better tool out there?
sometimes the cold seat wrench jumps out of the seat.....if you cant get it out use an easy out or a 3/4 or 7/8 chisel...but be careful..if you haven't done it with the chisels before you can stretch the threads...use the easy outs.....

sometimes the cold seat wrench jumps out of the seat.....if you cant get it out use an easy out or a 3/4 or 7/8 chisel...but be careful..if you haven't done it with the chisels before you can stretch the threads...use the easy outs.....
my mistake i was just talking about the cold seat.....the only way i get te ring off is by using the handle on the stem and like you said gently spin off the ring with pliers i think a rubber strap wrench would be to big.....
ive never tried this...but if you think about it a basin wrench is rounded...

Back